DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Oil Boilers, OFTEC registration

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mike2007

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 1052
Location: Somerset,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 17 times

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Do you have to be OFTEC registered (or with any other body) to install and commission an oil fired boiler in England?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
cozzmic

from United Kingdom

Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Posts: 745
Location: Nairnshire,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 56 times

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote

Ideally yes but as far as I can remember its still not a legal requirement.
They have a oil notification system like Łorgi do so it goes to building control.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
chilli985

from United Kingdom

Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 71
Location: Glamorgan,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote

oil leaks are just messy whereas gas leaks can kill
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
grib

from United Kingdom

Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 64
Location: Norfolk,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote

I have just allowed my OFTEC registration to lapse as there is no legal requirement for servicing and maintenance which is what I mainly do.

For installations you DO NOT have to be OFTEC registered however a non registered technician will have to submit a building regulation application. Speak to your local building control about how to do this.

Commissioning may be a different matter and I believe you can not do it if you are not registered... if anyone knows differently then I would be interested to know as I have stopped commissioning myself now (due to dropping my OFTEC membership) but would be quite happy to carry on if there is a way to continue.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Nixt

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 829
Location: Essex,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote

Quote:
oil leaks are just messy whereas gas leaks can kill




Ironically though, it seems, accidently spill oil that reaches controlled water and eventually kill a few fish and you could be in for a bigger fine than if you negligently work on gas and lay waste to a entire apartment block and all it's inhabitants.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
chilli985

from United Kingdom

Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 71
Location: Glamorgan,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote

you wouldnt get a fine if you wiped out a block of flats and people you would get a prison sentence
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Nixt

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 829
Location: Essex,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote

Hence the words 'it seems'. Clearly you don't deal in metaphors.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
moliver34

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 May 2007
Posts: 138
Location: Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 2 times

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote

All very nice, but whats going to happen when its a 'legal' requirement for you to be registered icon_redface.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
oilman

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Posts: 7965
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 26 times

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote

grib wrote:
Commissioning may be a different matter and I believe you can not do it if you are not registered... if anyone knows differently then I would be interested to know as I have stopped commissioning myself now (due to dropping my OFTEC membership) but would be quite happy to carry on if there is a way to continue.


I don't see why you shouldn't. All you would need is a calibrated measuring instrument and a suitable form to fill in. There is NO legal specification for a commissioner AFAIK.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Mike2007

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 1052
Location: Somerset,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 17 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote

chilli985 wrote:
you wouldnt get a fine if you wiped out a block of flats and people you would get a prison sentence


Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have natural gas in flats?? icon_confused.gif
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Mike2007

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 1052
Location: Somerset,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 17 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote

oilman wrote:
grib wrote:
Commissioning may be a different matter and I believe you can not do it if you are not registered... if anyone knows differently then I would be interested to know as I have stopped commissioning myself now (due to dropping my OFTEC membership) but would be quite happy to carry on if there is a way to continue.


I don't see why you shouldn't. All you would need is a calibrated measuring instrument and a suitable form to fill in. There is NO legal specification for a commissioner AFAIK.


I have a suitable instrument and a suitable form by way of a CD/10. They may be signed by "OFTEC registered technician" or have a "Building Control ref number"!
Does that mean that you can obtain the ref number for the building (renovation) and add it to the document instead of being a reg technician?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Nixt

from United Kingdom

Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 829
Location: Essex,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote

[/quote]Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have natural gas in flats??[/quote]





In that case that must have been one hell of a draught that brought down Ronan Point
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
oilman

from United Kingdom

Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Posts: 7965
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 26 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Mike2007 wrote:

I have a suitable instrument and a suitable form by way of a CD/10. They may be signed by "OFTEC registered technician" or have a "Building Control ref number"!
Does that mean that you can obtain the ref number for the building (renovation) and add it to the document instead of being a reg technician?


Just make up your own form, otherwise you might be seen as trying to pass yourself off as OFTEC registered when you aren't. You don't need a space for the BC number as the form is for you to pass the info to BC, then they do what they have to do.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Mike2007

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 1052
Location: Somerset,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 17 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Nixt wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but you don't have natural gas in flats??[/quote]





In that case that must have been one hell of a draught that brought down Ronan Point[/quote]
I know what you are saying but I find many(all I have visited) on economy 7 water heaters, electric hob/ovens?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Mike2007

from United Kingdom

Joined: 10 Feb 2007
Posts: 1052
Location: Somerset,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 17 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote

oilman wrote:
Mike2007 wrote:

I have a suitable instrument and a suitable form by way of a CD/10. They may be signed by "OFTEC registered technician" or have a "Building Control ref number"!
Does that mean that you can obtain the ref number for the building (renovation) and add it to the document instead of being a reg technician?


Just make up your own form, otherwise you might be seen as trying to pass yourself off as OFTEC registered when you aren't. You don't need a space for the BC number as the form is for you to pass the info to BC, then they do what they have to do.

Do you think they would be ok with that, as most don't know what they are looking at anyway so need your registration as a knowledge endorsment?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
OFTEC and boiler servicing 4 560 Thu May 27, 2010 8:07 pm
Oftec help and advice. 22 840 Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:32 am
OFTEC FLARED OR COMPRESSION? 4 140 Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 pm
OFTEC certified 4 100 Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:42 pm
A little Help OFTEC Engineers 2 280 Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:44 am


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.