armoured cable query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i currently have a 50 metre 6mm armoured cable running to an out building. i am now thinking of converting it into a garden annexe and putting a 9kw elec boiler, elec cooker etc

will the 6mm cable be good enough or will i need to run 10mm or even a 16mm armoured cable.

thx in advance

Sponsored Links
How much power are you going to use exactly?? The existing cable might be ok for lighting and some sockets but you'll need another cable run in more info required.

6mm is not going to be big enough to supply a 9KW boiler plus the normal load of a residence over that distance.

Guessing at about 15KW total load with the cooker and shower on you probablly need 25mm cable fed from an 80A switchfuse. If you have large electric loads in your house as well then you could be really pushing the limits of your service fuse (though in practice you will probablly get away with it because service fuses are very slow to blow at moderate overloads)

another option would be to leave the electric cable as it is and get gas run for heating and cooking.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like people will be living down there. The building control may have something to say about this. Best ask them if you plan to create a habitable space!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back