What's the best location for a CH thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ours is currently in the hall. Is this still the current thinking? I recall someone telling me (probably in the pub :LOL: ) that it is best to have is in the 'main living space. Ours is now wireless so no proble to move it.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
it needs to be in the room that's slowest to heat up, and where the radiator is constantly on, without a TRV.

The room should not have other heat sources, such as an open fire or a cooker, as this will turn off the heat for the rest of the house.

living rooms are usually the warmest room in the house so might not be suitable.

but halls are often cold and draughty... i don't know!

I'll leave it where it is, if it ain't broke... etc. etc.

I must resist the the urge to move it, just because I can :LOL:

I'll leave it where it is, if it ain't broke... etc. etc.

I must resist the the urge to move it, just because I can :LOL:

I'm no expert, but I can tell you the worst place to put one. My brother reckons mid way up the stairs in the hallway is best - Wot a load of rubbish!!!

I tried to explain hot air rises so the thermostat will react to the rising warm air and not the "Average" room temperature. No wonder my folks suffer from rheumatoid arthritis.

Oh did I mention he's a Gas Engineer - Glad he didn't fit / locate the thermostat at my place.

Sponsored Links
down the hallway away from the front door as the draught from the door will constantly keep it cool

get a wireless 1 and selotape it to yourself.

not only will the room you are in always be at a comfortable temperature but you can pretend to be a robot and dance like peter crouch . get in!!!

Tape it to your leg and make your M8`s think you`re a dead hard Tagged asbo guy :idea:

HiOnChee";p="1453962 said:
I tried to explain hot air rises so the thermostat will react to the rising warm air and not the "Average" room temperature.

Hot air does not rise, cold air is denser and gravity wins every time so the less dense air gets pushed up by the falling colder air

Look at it this way, what happens if you drop a brick in a bucket of water, does the water rise? no, it gets displaced by the denser brick and gravity wins every time again

So a Hot air balloon can`t work then ... But what if it was on a vertical conveyor belt ....... :rolleyes:

Hope this helps clear things up.

When a fluid is being heated, it expands. So the density of the heated particles becomes less than that of the unheated portion. The heavier, colder fluid displaces the relatively lighter, heated part, pushing it upwards..

Copied from page 276 or Gas Service Technology Volume 1, Second Edition

PS, must admit that it took me a while to get my head around it. ;)

All air particles in the atmosphere are drawn by the downward force of gravity. But the pressure in the air creates an upward force working opposite gravity's pull. Air density builds to whatever level balances the force of gravity, because at this point gravity isn't strong enough to pull down a greater number of particles.

This pressure level is highest right at the surface of the Earth because the air at this level is supporting the weight of all the air above it -- more weight above means a greater downward gravitational force. As you move up through levels of the atmosphere, the air has less air mass above it, and so the balancing pressure decreases. This is why pressure drops as you rise in altitude.

This difference in air pressure causes an upward buoyant force in the air all around us. Essentially, the air pressure is greater below things than it is above things, so air pushes up more than it pushes down. But this buoyant force is weak compared to the force of gravity -- it is only as strong as the weight of the air displaced by an object. Obviously, most any solid object is going to be heavier than the air it displaces, so buoyant force doesn't move it at all. The buoyant force can only move things that are lighter than the air around them.

Therefore you must stick it in the hall near the living room door.

Will anyone wager me £1 that hot air doesn't rise?

Yes, here's my quid

Here's a sealed container of 'hot' air, here's a rocket to take it and you to the moon where air of any other temperature can't interfere, place it on the moon, and let's watch while it rises......
It's not moved yet :rolleyes:

Hot air does not rise, it gets displaced by denser colder air, it get's pushed up...not rises

A hot air balloon is exactly why you're wrong, why doesn't a balloon full of hot air get pushed up right out into space? ~ because it reaches an altitude where the density of air around the balloon is the same as the density of the hot air inside the balloon

...I take Paypal payments by the way

I've just generated some hot air by letting my kitchen radiator warm it.

I observe that it has risen to the celing. It did not stay next to the radiator.

I previously put some hot air in a light japanese paper bag using a tiny candle, and the hot air lifted the bag off the ground.

What planet do you live on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back