Mixer Shower Inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to fit a concealed shower mixer but I am having problems fitting the hot & cold inlet.

The inlets are on a horizontal plane, so I am fitting an elbow with a male thread to go into the female thread of the mixer.

As the elbows need to point down (to recieve the supply pipes) it is not possible to fully tighten these joints, but I understand this is not necassary as long as I have used PTFE on the joints.

On the first try of this I wrapped about 10 wraps of PTFE on the threads and applied a bit of LSX around the end of the joint to fill the slight gap that remained. When I connected the water and turned the joint leaked.

I only left the joint about an hour before connecting, should I have waited longer?

I have now tried joint compound and hemp and currently leaving this overnight to set.

Can anyone confirm if this is the correct way of doing it, and should I just try a little more PTFE / compound?

How long is it expected that a joint like this will last? as it seems it only relies on the sealant than any pressure as in a compression fitting.

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who can help.

Jon :confused:

Sponsored Links
Best to use a straight compression fitting in the inlet connections and then an elbow (preferably male to female) to point the pipe in the appropriate direction.

Thanks Chrishutt,

Simple unfortunatley doesn't exist in this old house!!!

That was my first idea but due to lots of reasons there is insufficient space to do that.

I have just connected it all up and after 1 hour (touch wood) all seems good.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back