Twyford toilet won't flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My girlfriend's old Twyford toilet won't flush unless she pushes the ballcock rod down and allows another two inches of water height in the cistern to flow through before flushing. As far as I can see there's no way of adjusting the height of the ball. I know that she had a plumber take the cistern off and make a repair and after he put it back together again she has had this problem with it not flushing unless she increases the height. So anyone know the most likely cause? :idea: Could it be the syphon? Well, thanks to any replies in advance. ;)

Jon

Sponsored Links
usually worn out syphon.

or someone has fitted a tall syphon where it should be a short one.

how old does it look?

can you post a pic looking into the cistern?

btw ball valves are always adjustable. The method is different depending on whether is has a brass or plastic arm. this is the easiest thing so try it first. how near the overflow is the water level?

Thanks for the reply. I'll be at my girlfriend's over the weekend so will take a photo and report back. Thanks again

Jon

http://www.mypix.com/uk/uk/photo-album/share?current_album=6005178

Hi, here's the link to the photos. When we push the brass rod down to raise the water level an inch higher it is still over an inch below the overflow. The only thing that I can see is adjustable is the metal rod that goes to the side of the tank. That has a screw driver fitting at the end and if it was screwed anticlockwise I'm sure the ballcock would shift to the right and therefore pulling it upwards and raising the water level- don't want to try it incase I'm wrong though but it wouldn't take many turns to make the required depth an inch higher. That's the only way I can see to adjust unless the split pin is not supposed to be used and is replacing something.

Let me know if the photos are no good and thanks in advance!

Jon

Sponsored Links
can't see it

the website seems to want me to sign in

cor, that's a old one

you can bend the brass arm upwards so the the float settles higher

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back