Info - Panel Heater Installation on Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Need help. I'm looking to install 6 x 1000 watt panel heaters in my flat. I have a few to many sockets around the place, is it possible to connect each panel heater to the ring main by convert spare single sockets to a 13 amp fused spur and connect the heaters to the spurs. The ring is on a 32 amp MCB. If i have to install a new circuit will i overload my incoming supply fuse as its a 63 amp.

Any help/info will be much appreciated.
:D

Sponsored Links
If you put them on all on the samesocket ring you will only have about 1000W left over for anything else. If the ring in question is serving the kitchen that could be a problem.

what oether electrical equipment do you have? what is your consumer unit like? It is quite common for the total of the breakers in the CU to exceed the service fuse rating and this usually isn't a problem.

Hi

The cooker is on its own circuit and there are only 2 double sockets in the kitchen. I've been told a calculation to work out MCB size - watts / voltage = amps. Does this mean on a 32 amp circuit you can only have about 7500 watts on the circuit?.
I've just checked the Consumer Unit and the total sum of the MCB's add up too more than 63 amps is this a problem?, I assume this assumes that not all circuits will be used at once.
I think the consumer unit is fed from the shop downstairs.

I hope the CU isn't fed from the shop! thats stealing electric lol.

7500 watts is right. You can have as many 13 amp outlets as you wish, it assumes you wont be running everything at once.

The same applies to the main fuse. Though 63 amps is an odd size for a fuse. I think you may be referring to a mainswitch or an RCD? Can you take a photo of your consumer unit and the incoming mains?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Wished i could steal it lol, but i'm on a card meter as i rent it from the shop below, they are suppling all material and i said i would install it to help keep cost down. Looking to buy the place if poss which probably means i'll have to have a seperate supply installed.
Sorry only got a old 35mm camera and a crappy mobile.
Incoming goes into a main switch/rcd rated a 63 amps then into the CU with a 60 amp switch, CU has the following MCB's 6 amp - Lighting, 32 amp - Ring Main, 16 amp - Immersion Heater, 32 amp - Cooker , 32 amp -Shower. Wpould it be possible to install the panel heaters on the system?
I've only lived here for 2 months i've looked in to having a gas supply but cost to much and winter is coming if its going to mean alot of expense to install the heater then the landlord will probably not have it done.
Which means i'll have to move.

Cheers

I would put them on a seperate ring circuit, the chances of going over 63A total for long enough to blow anything is pretty low especially with only one person in the house. Much better than having them on the socket ring where with all the heaters on one large appliance could push it over.

Just been thinking,

If i installed the heaters and come winter i have all heaters on, the cooker on full cooking my christmas dinner for me and my partner and i fancy a quick shower, would this trip the main MCB?

If so this does not sound promising. Think moving in here was a big mistake its a good job i only have a six month contract.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back