Help with dodgy heating system needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My new house has had some very dodgy work done to the heating system before i bought it. Basically, what i found when i arrived was a 3 port valve (i am assuming it is 3 port cos it has 3 pipes on it) with no actuator motor attached meaning i have to manually select hot water/heating and some magical wiring whereby the cylinder stat controls the boiler. The room stat downstairs is connected to the junction box but does nothing.

I am pretty sure i can sort out the electrics but i am hopeless at plumbing (fear of drowning!) and was wondering if i could just add in a new actuator motor which would be a hell of a lot easier than replacing the valve. Can anyone tell me what i need to buy to simply plug in a new motor or would any do?

The only details I can see on the valve are that is was made by satchwell and has an id of DT1702. I have searched the web but cannot find out any info about what i need. If not, how easy is it to replace the whole valve and what needs to be done to safeguard the house from serious flood damage?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Hi guys and thanks for the incredibly quick replies. One question though - what is a syncron motor? Am i correct in assuming this is the motor that sits on top of the valve itself? If so, i dont have one there! I have to manually turn the valve to select water or heating. I have no idea what to buy that will fit the valve i have.

Sponsored Links
just googled synchron motors and they appear to be round in shape whereas everything i have seen on the 3 way valves in rectagular. I guess the motor sits in the rectangular housing. Sorry to be dim but i have no idea about what i am talkign about here but i am keen to learn :)

I do not have anything sitting on top of the valve so buying a synchron motor wouldn't do would it? I would have to buy a new housing as well. Which puts me back to "I have no idea what to buy" again :)

Again apologies for my dimness!!

Learn to swim & buy some Stilsons

cousteau_jacques_palau_1999.jpg

Ya big Jessie ;)

I found this on Dogpile. I don't have time to read it all but it looks like it might help:

http://infonet.ibs.invensys.com/ext...73bd2f080256a08004567d3/$FILE/DS4501-1205.pdf

Changing the complete valve isn't too difficult as long as it has standard 22mm compression joints. To avoid a flood you need to drain the heating system down to a point below the valve. Filling it up again and getting all the air out is the fun part![/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back