LEAK UNDER BRAND NEW BATH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Just recently fitted a brand new bathroom suite including brand new taps. this was my first time fitting a new bathroom and thought everything went well. After taking my first shower in my new shower/bath this morning I discovered a very very ting wet patch under the hot tap underneath the bath. I noticed this as I have no side panel yet. the drip only starts when i have a shower. the drip is so small but I know over time it will probably worsen.

Could I just need to tighten the hot tap a little or could it be something else ? the taps are brand new so I didnt think it could be related to washers.

Also when I use my mixer tap shower i find that the water pressure is rubbish compared to my crappy old mixer shower. Will a new shower head help this problem ??

Hope this all makes sense :)

Any help would be great.

regards

Gaz

Sponsored Links
Could I just need to tighten the hot tap a little or could it be something else ?

Check that the water is not coming from the top of the bath or from the top of the taps i.e your silicone is not sealing.

Also when I use my mixer tap shower i find that the water pressure is rubbish compared to my rubbishy old mixer shower. Will a new shower head help this problem ??

Try it without the head attached. :D

I dont thin its a celent problem as I have not only sealed it with sealent but also bought a platic strip that curves over onto the bath. you can tile onto it aswell. Sorry not sure of the name LOL.

I'll double check later though

It's probably leaking under the tap and through the holes in the bath. That's why it only leaks when you shower.

Seal around the tap.

Sponsored Links
Check its not leaking via the bath overflow. The sealing washers that come with some overflows are dire. I always put a ring of good quality sealant at the back of the overflow before tightening it up

Thanks guys will check later when i get home.

Cheers for all your help

Also when I use my mixer tap shower i find that the water pressure is rubbish compared to my rubbishy old mixer shower. Will a new shower head help this problem ??

I think the leak as others have said is possibly from not sealing the bottom of the taps to the bath or the overflow. Try the advice given.

With reference to the shower pressure: Try just turning the COLD water on. Is the pressure from the shower ok or even too high? (see below for remedial action on this*). If the pressure is low then you possibly have poor Mains Water pressure (or a blockage in the supply pipe or in the tank if tank fed), but saying as you said it was ok with the old taps I think that low pressure mains is unlikely. I'm betting that the COLD water pressure will be ok. Turn off the COLD tap and now try turning on just the HOT water. Is that pressure low? If so, then I'm guessing that your 'rubbishy old mixer shower' had larger valves i.e. it was designed to accomodate a low pressure system. Is the NEW Mixer Tap designed for High Pressure systems? Have a look at the paper work that came with it or on the box. Also, where did you purchase the taps?... The incorrect answer is eBay!!! There are so many cheap imports available these days. I'm not saying your taps are cheap imports or indeed from eBay (not that there's owt wrong with eBay mind. I've had a few great bargains off there and sold a few too!!!). Good quality taps can be designed for both HIGH and LOW pressure systems but incorrectly fitting 'High Pressure Taps' to a Low Pressure System will normally equal 'PPP' ('wee' Poor Pressure).

* Remedial action on COLD water pressure being TOO HIGH: You may also find that the paper work (that came with the taps), requests 'Tank Fed' cold water. If this is the case and you find that your tap is being fed from a mains pressure pipe and is giving too high a pressure then you will need to provide a new feed from a storage tank in the loft. Failing to do this could result in difficulty balancing the HOT and COLD to achieve an acceptable temperature.

If you find that the taps are designed for a High Pressure system I would guess that your heating system isn't pushing enough pressure to drive HOT water through the small 'high pressure valves' of the new tap. If that's the case then the solutions for decent shower pressure are:

1. Install a Pump to increase pressure (probably better to get a plumber to do this for you).
2. A new set of LOW pressure taps.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Thanks blasphemous this has helped alot.

Ive just sealed around my new taps and I think it has solved the problem. Will check under bath after my shower later to be sure.

My cold water seems to be alot more powerful coming from the tap than the hot water. when i pull the mixer head up to switch to shower it is the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back