Kitchen Sink Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have one of those plastic 1 & 1/2 kitchen sinks - installed when the house was built 8 years ago. It obviously has 2 waste outlets, both of which have decided to leak!

I've had a look at the waste outlets...

the main sink one is loose and can easily be moved by wiggling the pipework underneath. I have undone the large plastic screw holding the plughole is place and can see a large black washer underneath the sink. The washer looks fine. I cannot see how the whole thing was actually sealed, in fact it looks like the waste gunk is the only thing stopping it leaking even more! I cannot tighten the screw anymore than it is already.

the smaller sink is also loose, I can see the cause here. The plastic screw has snapped!

So firstly, I assume I need to purchase some form of sealant to make the whole thing more stable and leak free. Am I right, and if so what should I use? - I've seen silicon sealant and plumbers mait mentioned on previous threads.

Secondly, can I buy one of those large plastic screws, or do I need to buy a new plughole?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Buy the lot complete for a few quid and fit.

Clean both surfaces of hole before fitting. Use silicone if you wish to make sure but it is not really needed. :D

Thanks Bahco.

I bought a couple of wastes from B&Q for £5 each. Really good value for money and so much better than what was originally installed. Although they are only white plastic, they look like enamel.

I took your advice and didn't bother with the silicone.

Both waste outlets are now watertight and my wife is over the moon!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back