extra socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have got a socket on the wall of my kitchen and i want to install a socket on the other side of this wall to get power into the out house but want to keep the original socket in its place, what is the best way of doing this?

Sponsored Links
Is the existing socket on a ring circuit?
If so you could go straight thru the wall and put a socket there

BUT:

1. The socket must be RCD protected and must be deisgned for outside use.
2. I'm worried about the "get power to the outhouse" bit. Is this on an occassional basis or permanent?
3. You'll need to notify your local authority - its notifiable work.

it is a permanent fixture for an extra fridge freezer and i do believe it is on a ring circuit

Sponsored Links
test the socket you mention to see that it is live

Then turn off the power to that circuit and test that socket again to see that it is dead.

Then, remove the socket and see how many wires it has. With luck, there will be two cables, each with one red, one black, and one green/yellow.

Use your multimeter to test for continuity between the two reds, the two blacks, and the two G&Ys. If you haven't already got a multimeter walk up to the high street and buy one for about £10.

Report back here with what you find.

haven't got time to get a multimeter today just finding out how to do it before i start the project! it is from a kitchen to an outbuilding

the continuity tests will tell you if it is part of a ring and if you can take a spur off it. the socket outside the house will have to be protected by an RCD and be weatherproof.

it is notifiable work so you will have to contact the buuilding control office, or have it done by an electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme and will issue the documents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back