Olive Removal

pkm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, time for a bit of DIY 101

I am trying to replace an existing shower and need to remove the current fittings.

Am I right in thinking the only thing keeping this nut / compression fitting (see pic) in place is a stuck olive and not part of the pipe itself? Just want to check before I

a) buy an olive puller and
b) doing any damage to the pipework trying to remove it :)

18632543f97128df9122717546970aaad728ff62dcb218304679dfa5b629a63ef166977a.jpg

Thanks

PKM

Sponsored Links
If you're just doing the one, use a hacksaw to cut through the olive. when you've a decent slot insert a screwdriver and twist to snap off the olive. Alternatively cut the tube beyond the olive to get a clean tube end.

If the olive is too tight to the wall for cutting, use an olive puller rather than the cutter above. You wont even need to slide the nut back top use the puller.

If you're just doing the one, use a hacksaw to cut through the olive. when you've a decent slot insert a screwdriver and twist to snap off the olive.

Thats exactly how I remove mine. Another way if space is tight is to use a Dremel or similar rotary tool to cut the groove.

Takes seconds either way.

Sponsored Links
If the fitting hasn't been overtightened you can usually knock the olive off using the nut... Open the jaws of a fairly large adjustable spanner so they are bigger than the pipe but smaller than the nut. Tap the nut down towards the olive using the spanner and it will come off.... This has worked for me on all sizes from 15mm to 35mm except where the olive has been really cranked up too tight and squashed the pipe...in which case use the hacksaw advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back