trimming leylandii

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a HUGE leylandi and laurel hedge that i want to cut by about a third in height. somebody suggested that this would kill off the leylandii as they don't like being trimmed too harshly. is this true??

Sponsored Links
Not in the slightest. Quite the opposite to be honest. If you reduce height and cut both sides all at the same time you can stimulate a massive growth spurt that can negate the initial reduction if you don't get it under control. Whoever told you they could be killed off was proabably referring to trimming the sides. The plant won't regrow if you cut the sides back too harshly to old wood.

Feel free to crack on and get the top third off now. Once finished the trunks should be lower than tips of the lateral branches, you're aiming to see a nice 'valley' in the middle of the top of the hedge if you're stood on a ladder at one end looking down the run. Some people go saw crazy and end up with a horrible result so if you can, cut above your finished desired height. You can always cut more off later but you can't glue it back on....

best thing with leylandii is to trim them to 6" below the ground.

Sponsored Links
Every gardener's best friend. Clear all wildlife away from the area first obviously ;)

_40992561_semtex203i.jpg

advice is right in terms of ridding them, however theres nothing wrong with leylandii used and managed in the correct circumstances

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back