TT supply sytem RCDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a property is supplied by a TT system with its own earth electrode should the 100mA RCD cover all circuits including lighting or just the socket rings?

Sponsored Links
you need to have some form of RCD protection on everything. Some people put everything on one 30ma RCDs but this is generally considered unacceptable because it means that a fault on a socket circuit can take out your lights, smoke alarms etc.

the most commonly reccomended setup i've seen is a time delay 100ma RCD as mainswitch feeding a 30ma RCD for higher risk circuits (sockets etc). The trouble with this setup is that time delay RCDs are expensive. Another possibility is to have a main switch feeding two seperate RCDs.

They certainly are a little expensive - around £69. Many thanks for the advice.

The other acceptable method is to use a split board which has 2 RCDs, a 100mA for lighting etc, 30mA for sockets etc. Both RCDs are covered by a main switch, I think Hager make them.

What are you looking at for £69? Seems pretty cheap for a CU with 100mA TD RCD and 30mA RCD?

Sponsored Links
I assumed he meant £69 just for the time delay RCD on it's own.

Yes - it was just a standalone RCD which is fitted between the meter/cuttoff switch and the CU (from www.tlc-direct.co.uk) plus you have to buy a box for it.

For a pre-assembled, 6+6 Split Load Consumer Unit with 10 x Type B 6kA SP MCBs. BS EN 60439-3: 1991. 100A DP isolator, 63A 30mA RCD; 1 x 40A, 4 x 32A, 2 x 16A, 3 x 6A, 2 x blanks for £58 go to Pre-assembled, 6+6 Split Load Consumer Unit with 10 x Type B 6kA SP MCBs. BS EN 60439-3: 1991. 100A DP isolator, 63A 30mA RCD; 1 x 40A, 4 x 32A, 2 x 16A, 3 x 6A, 2 x blanks see www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331827&ts=07721&id=82204.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back