Fuse box master switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was about to remove some sockets the other day and instead of having to work out which fuse was the correct one to remove, I just switched off the master switch - nothing happened! All the lights stayed on. I can remove individual fuses but it strikes me as a bit odd (and possibly dangerous). Any ideas on what is wrong or how to fix it. It's a fairly old-looking fuse-box (don't know how old as I've just moved in).

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there is only one main switch? You don't think you may have turned off the main switch on an old economy seven fusebox, do you? (It will be coloured white and is probably full off blue, 15A fuses).)

You should have a service head, which contains the main fuse, then the meter/s and then any isolators/consumer units/fuseboxes. If you are sure there is only one main switch, but it doesn't isolate the circuits in the house whereas pulling the fuses does, then your main switch is b*ggered and you're in for some expense.

Or maybe what you think is a main isolator is in fact for a single circuit, perhaps for a cooker or shower?

Call in a spark and get a professional opinion.

thanks.

I'll have a look again tonight to double check I'm not just being dim!

so pulling fuses in the same fusebox as the nonfunctional main switch cut off some stuff?

can you get us a complete photo of your fuseboard area?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I was being dim. I looked a bit harder and found the master switch, which works ok!

Now I'm curious. The first switch you found, which you originally thought was the master switch - what was it?

id guess a plug in mcb. possiblly supplying a disused cuircuit

Haven't looked again to find out what the first switch was. I'll try to have a look again tonight if I have time after removing radiators!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back