render onto metal lath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
rendering onto timber frame using celotex between building paper and riblath 1. do i need lime in the mix 2.can i get away with two coats

Sponsored Links
lime in the top coat only.

waterproofer in both coats (high suction-warm weather).

waterproofer in top coat only (low suction-cool weather).

we use two layers of metal lathe, as it helps the render to bond better and not push through as bad.

thanks the reason we use building paper is to stop it pushing through. the s/steel lath (red rib) was advised by expamet rather than mesh to get more render next to the timbers and of course s/steel screws for fixings. my main concern is whether two coats to be ok.thanks for your advice but two layers of lath would have been expensive

Usually we go

One prick coat, one scratch coat , one float coat.

It all depends how good you can get your first coat, as your float coat should ideall be of uniform thickness and not too heavy.

You can often be quicker and leave a better job with three coats onto wire than with three, but it depends how well the mesh is fixed. It is often easier to bead onto a prick coat too.

Obviously the coats get weaker as you come out

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back