Hotpoint WM52 - motor not working, brushes look fine. . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

motor not working at all, but brushes appear fine, wondering how I go about testing the motor itself . . .I have multimeter . . have just read a prior post with what sounds like the same problem and it was their door interlock. They talk about by-passing it . . .

any advice on how to use my multimeter to test teh motor, and also how to bypass the door lock much apprecieated.

Huey

Sponsored Links
If the machine fills with water ok and the problem is just that the motor not turning, then you can forget the door interlock, it is ok

Unfortunately a contuity test is not what a white goods tech would normally do as it is much easier to get a replacement motor from the van and simply piggyback the new motor to test.However if it is a top mounted motor you could try new brushes and if that does not cure they will not be wasted as I can guarantee they will be needed in the future as they they rarely last the the lifespan of the machine.First check for fractured wire in the motor plug or around the area of the of harness near the plug. The motor supply is also on a fed from the programmer and is usually fused. If your lucky it will have a separate cartridge fuse but usually it is a fuse block which you can check with a continuity check. However if it is open circuit then there is a possibility that there could be a short on the motor which means a replacement anyway

Sponsored Links
thanks again tockworth - will hunt for that fuse, and order some new brushes too . . .

Check the motor plug first for loose or burned connection it is easily opened by two small barbs each end of plug and visually inspected I have had this fault on more than one occasion as the connections pass quite a hefty current and are subject to quite a bit of vibration

will do. I should have said earlier there is evidence of heat (melting and scorch marks) on one of the brush connectors (thats i, where the wire attaches to the brush terminal) - can't imagine its not making a connection there though . . . .

just to provide follow up and thank you all once again for help . .

brushes finally turned up (psot strike!), brushes fitted, motor fixed!!!!

well chuffed.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back