laminate floor or kitchen units first!!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

i currently have the kitchen ripped out, and i'm fitting a new tongue and groove laminate floor. just wondering whether i should lay the floor first, then put the kitchen units on top of that, or fit the units first then lay the floor around them..?? it's only a small kitchen - about 3 x 1000mm base units..

i've got a feeling that there might be some disagreement about this, but I'd appreciate any help!

cheers!
mike

Sponsored Links
Mike - always lay the floor first then install the kitchen if you are starting with an empty room (remember to cover the new floor with an old blanket or even the thick cardboard boxes the kitchen units came in otherwise the floor'll get marked). Reasons: fewer cuts, no fitting around the unit bases, no trimming of the kick-plates, quicker installation time, put skirting-boards on after so avoiding the 'crappy' beaded look, etc. etc.

Anybody who disagrees is wrong!

Disagree with Symptons
Units first, then laminate floor and finally skirtings.
Much easier, cheaper, (less laminate) and less likely to damage new floor.

Anybody who disagrees is entitled to.

floor first.

makes it easier to deal with any removable appliances.

in fact, floor first regardless, only a twit or a tightwad would comprehend retro-fitting the floor once given the freedom to do so. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Units first, no matter if it's cheap laminate or decent wood-engineered flooring (don't recommend solid floorboards in kitchens).

Suppose there is a leak - it's a kitchen after all - and the whole floor has to be removed? All units have to be removed again!

Install the units, make allowance for the height of the new floor (including underlayment) otherwise you end up with back pain when cooking or doing the dishes.
Install the floor and go roughly 1 - 2 inches underneath the units. Then cut the kickboards to new height. Areas where appliances are going in: install plywood of the same thickness as the new floor (including underlayment) so it's on the same level.

We've seen the disastrous results of floor first - luckily for the client it was an insurance case, but they were much longer without a real kitchen than would have been needed!

100% the units first then the flooring. You ever tried getting laminate back up with a kitchen installed on top?? Great fun.

OK Mike, as expected a bun fight ensued and what you're left with is the decision to make. Whilst the opinion regarding leaks is valid I suppose, that shouldn't, in my view, drive your thinking; we have a risk of leaking water elsewhere in our houses - so should we let that cripple our choices? The risk of leaks can be reduced to an absolute minimum by following good practice during the installation of the kitchen, in reality if the plumbing is done properly it'll not leak. Easy access to pipework, linked to good maintenance, will reduce this risk to almost zero. And in any case a serious leak is likely to damage the cupboard carcases (probably made from chipboard) so they'll have to be ripped out and you'll be left with this choice to make again.

I've got to be honest when judging the decision to lay laminate instead of say, ceramic tiles or vinyl. I my opinion, both are a better solution in a kitchen anyway; vinyl easy to lay & replace, tiles classier. Having said that I've had reclaimed solid maple (from an old wool mill 'up North') down on my kitchen, bathroom and conservatory floors for 25 years without any problems at all.

Finally, as there are no rules or regulations regarding this matter, what you are left with is a range of perfectly valid opinions; choose one and take your chance. I still say floor first.

If you fit the units on top of the laminated flooring, you will get a tent reaction plus no expansion

personally any fitter would say to lay in an empty room - much much easier.. the only problem is to make sure that there is still an expansion gap when any pipework or cabinet legs are installed because the weight will trap the floor.
also make sure the vapour barrier fits 100% of the room not just upto the cabinets as moisture will find its own level.

personally any fitter would say to lay in an empty room - much much easier..
Although you are replying to a very old post, I do beg the differ with your above statement! If you are a fitter and you would say this to your clients I would not hire your services ever.

Personally any fitter would say to lay in an empty room - much easier.. the only problem is to make sure that there is still an expansion gap when any cabinet legs are installed because the weight will trap the floor. Areas where appliances are going in: install plywood of the same thickness as the new floor so it's on the same level. Thanks for sharing..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back