Am i about to get ripped off ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Alpha 240 Eco combi boiler. Everything was working fine until i decided to try the central heating before things got to cold. All the radiators heated up (although some a bit hotter than others) and i thought we would be set. However, after switching the central heating off i found later that night that the hot water was starting to play up. Basically, i turn on the hot water, the boiler fires up, makes a howling noise for about 2-3 seconds and hot water comes out of the taps. After a very short time the boiler then shuts down. A little while later the boiler fires up again, before once again turning itself off (repeat for as long as you run the water). The result is a luke warm bowl of water or very miserable shower. The central heating however, remains absolutely fine. I called British Gas who said that the heat exchanger was getting blocked. The engineer recomended fitting a MagnaClean device and changing the heat exchanger, quoting £260. He did make a show of taking the heat exchanger off and showing my wife the black particles (no jokes please) but i am concerned that we might be being had over. A friend had a similar experience with British gas and there eagerness to sell heat exchangers. Any advice on the price quoted and the work proposed would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
£260 doesnt sound too bad for that.

whether or not you need a magnaclean is not for anyone here to confirm as it will solely be dependant on the water quality.

if you dont like the price get a second opinion. you could always refuse the magnaclean and get the h/e on its own but you may end up in the same position fairly soon if you do.

you dont say whether you are on BG contract or if this was an on demand call-out.

Personally id have spent an extra 10 mins to give the HE a quick flush and probably get it temp working again. That way the customer can appreciate it needs to be done.

Although usually i wouldnt bother removing it at all.

They have advised you correctly IMO. Cant really comment on price maybe you could get a couple of rough quotes over the phone?

We have a Alpha 240 Eco combi boiler. Everything was working fine until i decided to try the central heating before things got to cold. All the radiators heated up (although some a bit hotter than others) and i thought we would be set. However, after switching the central heating off i found later that night that the hot water was starting to play up. Basically, i turn on the hot water, the boiler fires up, makes a howling noise for about 2-3 seconds and hot water comes out of the taps. After a very short time the boiler then shuts down. A little while later the boiler fires up again, before once again turning itself off (repeat for as long as you run the water). The result is a luke warm bowl of water or very miserable shower. The central heating however, remains absolutely fine. I called British Gas who said that the heat exchanger was getting blocked. The engineer recomended fitting a MagnaClean device and changing the heat exchanger, quoting £260. He did make a show of taking the heat exchanger off and showing my wife the black particles (no jokes please) but i am concerned that we might be being had over. A friend had a similar experience with Britis
doyle

h gas and there eagerness to sell heat exchangers. Any advice on the price quoted and the work proposed would be appreciated.
:rolleyes:

doyle :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. The engineer must have flushed the exchanger through as suggested because the water is now running hot (nice to feel clean again!). The boiler is still a bit noisy so perhaps the work does indeed need doing.

I think it is a very reasonable price as the Magnaclean is around £100 on its own.

Kevplumb..

What do you expect. Your profession has hardly done itself any good in recent years. The incident i refer to that a colleague experienced, from a British Gas engineer was as follows..

Your heat exchanger needs replacing luv and the boiler flushing. That'l be £500 thankyou.

Engineer returns with replacement part but wants my friend to keep out of the way. My friend decides to stay and watches them produce a part that appears in even worse condition than the one they intend to replace. He seems surprised when my friend objects.

As for my own experience. I have a British Gas contract. I never see the same engineer and have experienced differing levels of competence.

Thanks to those who replied to my genuine question.

Kev, your a plum.

Bg are currently cahrging £190 just to fit the magnaclean.

i cant see what possible reason the BG engineer had to replace your mates part with a second hand one.

engineers like that need the sack. :rolleyes:

I find it difficult to believe that a BG engineer would be fitting a second hand part during his employement with BG. Much more likely he was working on the side!

As the Magnaclean is about £100 to buy then supply and fit for £190 sounds very good value indeed.

We are considered to be very reasonable in our pricing policy but would normally charge £220 although that would include a visit a few weeks later to clean the filter and advise on any further treatment required.

Tony

Kevplumb..

What do you expect. Your profession has hardly done itself any good in recent years. The incident i refer to that a colleague experienced, from a British Gas engineer was as follows..

Your heat exchanger needs replacing luv and the boiler flushing. That'l be £500 thankyou.

Engineer returns with replacement part but wants my friend to keep out of the way. My friend decides to stay and watches them produce a part that appears in even worse condition than the one they intend to replace. He seems surprised when my friend objects.

As for my own experience. I have a British Gas contract. I never see the same engineer and have experienced differing levels of competence.

So based on these anecdotal titbits you've managed to assess the state of an industry of over 50,000 souls servicing over 17,000,000 properties.

tho i have no love for bg, the price for fitting a magnaclean and new heat exchanger is more then fine. at least he did not try and sell a £600 powerflush :rolleyes:

Kevplumb..

What do you expect. Your profession has hardly done itself any good in recent years. .

Name ANY trade/profession/service where there is no chance of being ripped off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back