Vaillant ecotec combi over heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having trouble with a non condensing model of vaillant combi, pretty sure it is an ecotec.

I've recently swapped a radiator for a new one and added one additional to the system making a total of 6.

The system was power flushed last year.

When I came to refill the system and fire everything up I found that the boiler was firing but the flow temperature was climbing to 80 degrees very quickly, about 30- 40 secs and then the boiler was switching off for a minute or two.

The whole process would then repeat itself over and over.

The rads were getting warmish but not hot.

At each rad the flow pipe was very hot but the return tepid at best.

At the boiler after the flow pipe was red hot but again the return cold.

Obviously the heat is not getting away from the boiler but I am confused as to why.

I checked the valve at the boiler on the return side to see if there was a filter that may be blocking but it is clear.

I also checked that the diverter valve is working correctly.

It sounds like a blockage somewhere on the return to me but is there anything else internally in the boiler that could cause the symptoms described above?

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Well if it's non-condensing it is not an Ecotec. Check if it is a Turbomax.

Are you sure that the return valve under at the boiler is fully open??

Easy mistake to make sometimes

yes return valve definately open.

Ok maybe it's a Turbo max! Anything else to add?

Sponsored Links
If rads start to warm then the blockage is very likely near the boiler. I dont know of any filters so personally i would take the return iso valve out and check that. Failing that take pump head off and give the housing underneath a rinse.

Worked a few times on other boilers.

Sounds like you put the new rad in series in stead of parallel. If you are absolutely sure that is not the case, you can try blowing the blockage out using the mains from the garden tap. Make sure your boiler is completely isolated before you try this. If you are not fully up to date on combis, you should consider getting a pro to do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back