Dimmer buzzing loudly in middle position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a brass dimmer to replace an existing light switch on a 100W normal bulb. When the dimmer is in the off or full on position then there is no noise, but the closer I move it to the middle position a buzzing noise appears and gets louder the closer to the middle setting I get.

The last brass dimmer I fitted on a 100W bulb was four years ago and that makes no noise at all and is on the same upstairs circuit.

The differences are the model of dimmer is different (it can be switched on and off by pushing in) and this new dimmer is 2 way (but wired for 1 way).

Do you think this dimmer is faulty?

Anything else I should check?

Sponsored Links
no the dimmer is working fine, some dimmers do that, change brand and have the same as the other one you have

Any recommendations on a non buzzing brass dimmer?

I have a Wickes (where this came from), B&Q, Homebase and Focus Do It All just round the corner from me.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but any dimmer has the potential to buzz. It's magnetostriction in the core of the suppressor coil that causes it. This can be reduced by using more core material so that it isn't driven so hard. (But it can also be reduced by using inferior suppression!) All other things being equal, a higher rated dimmer (more watts) will be quieter but watch out because dimmers often have a MINIMUM power rating too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back