Neighbour's noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I seem to have found the web site I need. Can anyone help please. Our neighbour had an extension last year and during this had a new boiler installed, think its a combi. Their extension was 2 storey i.e. bedroom over garage with en suite bathroom where their boiler is now located. Unfortunately however, we now get a really bad drumming sound in our house. It is now on, seems to come on during the evening, so could this be when their boiler is on, or a pump?
It is much worse in our room at front of house. When you sit in one place, it is much worse in some parts than others. We have floor boards (not laminate) under our carpet. The noise is also to be heard upstairs but not quite as bad. My husband can hardly hear it (he is deaf due to the fact he runs the local shoot, and no, doesnt wear ear protectors)! so it doesnt bother him. I havent mentioned it to our neighbour as we get on really well, but the noise is driving me mad. I cannot watch the TV in there as the noise is intermittent, so I am always listening for it to start again. It seems to go off around 10 p.m. Pleeeease can someone help ? :rolleyes: [/i]

Sponsored Links
I don't know what you really expect us to say with so little information :eek:

As you say you get on well with your neighbour I would have thought your first action would be to approach nicely over a cup of tes round yours and explain your concerns and once he is in yours he may hear it and say 'what on earth is that noise?'

It could be he doesn't know about it and should be something that needs the manufacturers called in to fix under warranty.

Thanks for reply Dave. I agree, yes I should mention it to neighbour, but having had 6 and a half years of the neighbours from hell before these ones arrived,(husband put in hospital, police involved, wife an absolute mental case etc. etc. ) so I am cautious.
Suppose I will have to mention it though and take it from there.

Sponsored Links
You mentioned that while watching TV you are "listening for their boiler to start".

I do think that you are making this matter into something out of all proportions.

If you really wanted to see if there really is any genuine complaint then buy or borrow a sound level meter and see what the level really is.

Just being able to hear a sound is not a justifiable cause for complaint. Its only when its significantly disturbing to a reasonable person.

Why not turn up the TV sound so that it masks the neighbours noise?

Just for the record I hate screaming babies and kids but I know that no one ever takes that complaint seriously. If I go up to a mother in a Bank and complain about her screaming kids I know that everyone else will scowl at me and in the end it will be me who is marched out by the security guards.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back