Bentone Electro Oil Burner locking out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

An oil problem for you this time. Im trying to avoid these as oil stinks but work is work.

Called out to a Bentone Electro Oil burner that is locking out. Basically went i got there i hit the reset button and there was a nit of groaning and twitching but nothing happening.

I scrwed off the plate on the back face of the burner and spun the fan round a few times. It spun round freely. Then hit the reset button and away she went. I turned it on and off about 5 times and everytime it kicked in nicely.

So i left the job assuming all was well. Got a call back. Apparently the boiler ran for 20 mins, cut off and then wouldnt re start. I worked again in teh morning for 15 mins and again wouldnt re start.

What should i be looking for??

Grill

Sponsored Links
when it was working did you check oil pressure or vacuum?have you checked the magic eye or nozzle,or the electrodes?

Hi Holty,

Checked oil pump pressures and they were fine, changed the nozzle and there was a good spark between the electrodes.

When it doesnt want to run it basically seems like teh motor is struggling to turn. Im thinking the moto capacitor but im not sure!!

Grill

Sponsored Links
How exactly do i go about checking if i pump is on its way out/tight spots??

G

Remove pump from motor and turn gently by hand in direction of rotation!! You will be able to feel any tight spots !!

Unless its an old motor with lubrication pots the bearings are not meant to be oiled !!
If its a bearing problem with the motor you will be able to hear it!!

No worries,

Ill whack the new capacitor in first and see if that solves it. If not ill take the pump out and spin it by hand and check for tight spots as you say. Also bought a replacement dog for it as well. Take it if it isn't spinning freely then its stick in a new pump an don't mess about trying to unfree it??

There is no whining when the burner is working so assume motor bearing is fine. Is it a big job to change the motor bearing by the way and what tools would i need??

Cheers again for your help

Grill

New capacitor fixed the problem.

Thanks again guys

G

its either the capacitor or a high spot on the pump. high spots take a lot of turning to find

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back