Bedroom Condensation, what else can i do???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had this a problem for a while now, every morning we wake up during winter to find condensation on the front bedroom bay window, we do also get condensation on the front box bedroom as well. We have the central heating on until around 10pm, windows left open/closed, tried everything! I did recently replace the bathroom Fan, thinking that baths & showers were the root cause of the problem and I did think this did cure the fault, as we did seem to get a couple of days were we didn’t have this problem, those days though were quite mild. However, condensation has started to appear again as the weather has got colder. We have no trickle vents on our windows or any air brick in this room and the chimney stack has no vent, so we need to leave them on the fresh air lock, Last night to prove a point to myself, I closed the bedroom door and left the bedroom windows on fresh air, as usual the windows had condensation on them this morning, but the box room didn't.
So I now presume that the cause of the condensation is coming from me and my girlfriend and not from damp or the bathroom. I've taken a look in the loft space and I did replace the insulation around 2yrs ago, the house was built in the 1930's and the roof has no felt under the tiles, so I hate going up there unless I need to. Anyway with the light off, I could see light coming through some of the gaps between the roof tiles, but there is very little light coming from, if any from the eaves. Could it be the eaves that are not getting the ventilation into the roof space that is causing the problem with condensation??? I guess a dehumidifier would probably clear the problem, but i would rather have a proper fix than a work around.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.lol ! When the door is left open i still get condensation on the bedroom window and also on the box bedroom window. I know the problem is ventiliation, so would the windows on fresh air not be enough? condensation happens with the windows on fresh air, the box room also has an air-brick in this room,which has no obstructions.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
this reply may be late but sleeping pair of adults breath out approx 1 1/2 pints of water each evening while, sleeping :LOL: do you dry washing any where in the house as this does not help especially on radiators the problem is as stated lack of air curculation throughout the whole property moisture will always find the coolest spot to re condensate there are special humidistat fans available to remove excess moisture to help cure your problem hope this helps better late then never.

:eek: a ventilation hole is cheaper to buy and costs nothing to run.

The basic problem (IMO) is that 1930s houses are cold houses - they were built at a time when coal was cheap and plentiful and everybody could keep a fire burning. I guess the fires also ventilated the house pretty well too. Those bay windows are awful cold spots, there's no insulation in them at all. As others have pointed out, just living produces moisture so maybe a dehumidifier is the only answer.

We have no trickle vents on our windows or any air brick in this room and the chimney stack has no vent, so we need to leave them on the fresh air lock,

I'm wondering when you leave them on the fresh air lock - all the time or just at night when you're worried about the condensation? The thing about trickle vents is that they do allow a continuous passage for fresh air. If you don't have trickle vents and you don't have another source of continuous ventilation, then your air cannot help but become saturated with moisture. At night, when the air cools down it can't hold the moisture so it dumps it wherever it can. If it wasn't on your windows, it would be somewhere else - in your wardrobes, behind furniture, in the structure of your house. At least when it's on your windows, you can wipe it off with a squeedgee, which is more than you can do with mouldy plaster. Re insulation, this will keep the air warm (so it holds more moisture) but eventually even warm air will become saturated so the more you insulate, the better it will seem for a while but the worse it will get.

A lifetime's supply of ventilation:

p2813463_l.jpg

Too much ventilation can also cause condensation though, as it lowers the air temperature so it can't hold as much moisture.

'Curing' condensation is basically a balancing act between insulation, temperature, ventilation and moisture production.

Increasing temperature= increasing the amount of moisture the air can hold

Increasing insulation = keeps the temperature higher so also increases the amount of moisture the air can hold, but also means that the insulated surfaces are warmer so water won't condense on them

Increasing ventilation = allowing the moisture in the air to escape, but too much will lower the temperature on surfaces hence water will condense on them

Too much moisture = saturation point of air is reached and it will condense out on the coldest surface.

It sounds as if the insulation and heating are ok as it's only condensing on the windows rather than the walls, so I reckon it's more likely a combination of getting the ventilation levels right and also the moisture. Doors to main moisture producing rooms should be kept shut during and for 20 mins after use while the vent or window lets the excess moisture out, otherwise it will 'travel' to the coldest parts of the house and condense there. Ideally only dry clothes in these rooms to minimise moisture in the air too.

If it really is just some water on your windows and nowhere else I'd agree with the above assessment that it's better there than on your walls, ceiling or furniture!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back