Replacement oven - in the household circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just purchased a new oven, a Hotpoint SC98 (rating appears to be 2250-2400W). The previous electric oven was connected to the mains via a plug and standard socket on the normal household circuit. We have only two rings in the flat - one for the lights and one for the "plugs" (or so it is labelled at the !). The installation instructions say to use "HAR- H 05- RRF quality cables fitted with a plug conforming to the regulations in force" and "Fuse Section: 32A 4mm3". Do we need to install a new fuseway or use a plug in the existing mains socket? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
First of all why do you have a ring for lights

Secondly, It it perfectly acceptable to plug a 2400w oven in to a socket, a 13A socket can take upto 3000w

Thirdly, the advice on installing a separate circuit seems to be wrong, the oven takes no where near 32A and 4mm cable would be daft to install for a cooker point, somone might want to install a hob at somepoint, and would have to rip it out and replace it, if you do decide to install a separate circuit for it, run it in 10mm, then the cable is there if anyone wants to fit a high power electric hob in the future.

Thank you so much for your swift and informative response!

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have just installed an AEG B4101-4 and my experience was similar - the handbook says 25amp fuse and THICK cable. But according to the manufacturers brochure the fuse rating is 13amps, so I used the ring main. So far all seems to be OK, but I am keeping my fingers crossed! Any thoughts about this particular oven's power consumption?

According to this: http://www.aeg.co.uk/Files/unitedkingdom_english/brochures/Built_in.pdf (which you should have been able to find as easily as I did
splat.gif
), it's a 3kW device, so OK to just plug it in, with a 13A fuse in the plugtop.

Thanks for that. I did in fact find the AEG document after posting my question so I guess I should have looked harder.

Hi d508dq,

I've got the same oven as you, had it for about 3 years now and it seems not to be warming-up? No error message or anything unusual appear onscreen, but it just doesn't warm up very much?

Have you been ok with yours?

1) Its been 2 years nearly, most people don't stick around here for long, I'm afraid he is long gone

2) More of an appliances problem than an electrical one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back