Cooker hood wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for some help!
I have had a cooker hood bulb blow, but when I tested it, the whole hood now has no power. I can't even trace where the power is coming from - there is no switch/fuse in the kitchen specifically for the hood and all other appliances are working fine. House fuse box is fine. House is Bovis, 4 years old. Does anyone know where the power could be coming from? Lighting circuit? Mains socket circuit?

Sponsored Links
firstly you did test power coming into the hood didn't you if you just tested whether the hood worked it could be a fuse in the hood itself

failing that sounds like a fused connection unit somewhere off either the lighting (naugty but possible) or socket cuircuits

sadly finding it is likely to be a nightmare especially if its burried in a void somewhere

the thing is because the live is now disconnected (presumablly by a hidden fuse) you can't even find out what cuircuit it is on in the normal way

here is the troubleshooting approach i would take

turn off the main switch and rcd and open the CU

connect temporary wires (preferablly some bright color you would not normally see in a CU so it can be easilly removed lated) between the earth bar and the neutral bars

check for continuity with a multimeter between the earth and neutral wires at the cooker hood feed position

if there is no continuity at this stage you have seroius problems and should get a sparky in

then disconenct the neutrals of each cuircuit from the CU neutral bar one at a time and retest continuity at the hood (start with the likely ones like kitchen sockets and downstairs lights and cooker cuircuit if present)

when you find out which cuirciut it is put its neutral back in the bar and start breaking that cuircuit in various places until you find where its spurred from

this is a bloody nasty troubleshooting job though

DaveCornish said:
House is Bovis, 4 years old.
Still under NHBC guarantee then. If the wiring wasn't done according to the regs (and an FCU hidden in a void is not according to the regs) then phone up and give them merry hell.

Thanks for your help. I found the 13 amp socket hidden behind the greasy air extraction pipe, butted up next to the ceiling. Just needed a new fuse.

Sponsored Links
Dough, Ban, use your loaf! Why would I bother, with a crusty guy like you, with your half-baked ideas?

I'm off for a bit of crumpet now!

this thread is getting a bit crusty and overbaked, so i am not going to rise to the occasion

Doh! Loads of people put the plug & socket behind the stainless 'chimney', its them clients that dont wanna see all those ugly sw fuses on the wall....and i must admit.....i agree.

Lectrician said:
Doh! Loads of people put the plug & socket behind the stainless 'chimney', its them clients that dont wanna see all those ugly sw fuses on the wall....and i must admit.....i agree.
When you think how much money people spend on kitchens, how much extra would it cost to put in an appropriately styled grid plate with labelled switches and fuse modules somewhere accessible but not obtrusive and run a series of radials for all the non-cooking appliances from there? A lot less than just the tiling would be my guess....

ban-all-sheds said:
When you think how much money people spend on kitchens, how much extra would it cost to put in an appropriately styled grid plate with labelled switches and fuse modules somewhere accessible but not obtrusive and run a series of radials for all the non-cooking appliances from there? A lot less than just the tiling would be my guess....

Indeed, but you're forgetting the unbreakable rule of kitchen renovation - you don't even consider the electrics until everything else has been done... especially the tiling!

BAS: Like the idea of that, anything you'd recommend to a DIY'er just about to start wiring the electrics for his new kitchen?

Can you actually get plates with enough switches & fuses to run an entire kitchen?

Ross

mk grid plus plates come in 1 2 3 4 6 8 9 12 18 and 24 module versions (9 18 and 24 are not availible in logic plus finish though)

so yes almost certainly enough for your kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back