Seperate Oven and Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Going to replace the standalone cooker with seperate double oven and hob. From what I can tell, the oven is 5200w and the hob is 6kw. The current appliance, a range type, is rated at 15kw, the kitchen has an its own ring main. The RCD in the consumer unit for the cooker is 40A.

So, my query to you guys is can I run the two units from the same cooker point, or should I be looking at some other way?

Thanks

Terry

Sponsored Links
I take it you mean MCB, not RCD.

An RCD in domestics normally supplies several circuits, the cooker circuit not being one of them.

Yes you can wire them on the same circuit.

Yes, I mean the MCB, although on checking in the cu just now, the MCB for the cooker is on the side controlled by the RCD. The cu was new when the house was re-wired about 15 years ago by a registered local company.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Terry

Sponsored Links
Aye, cant see any problem with wiring them on the same circuit. We had a similar arrangement. The "ideal" way would be two 32A circuits from the consumer unit, one ofr each appliance, but this is belt and braces stuff.

The reason cooker circuits shouldnt be wired to the RCD is that the electric elements can become "leaky" - even fairly new ones. The insulation / packing in the element breaks down or becomes damp, and leaks current to earth. However the vast majority dont have a problem.

The same applies to fridges and freezers - these should ideally be on their own non-RCD circuit, as the consequences of these loosing power are more dire than if you cant cook your beans. Again, a majority dont have a problem.

Hi,

I am doing something very similar

I am looking to run a 5.8KW hob and 2.8KW oven on a 40amp circuit, over about 6 metres, with the cable in plastic conduit recessed into a concrete floor.

Will voltage drop and the way the cable is covered affect its ability ?

I work it out at 37amp (@ 230V)

does this sound OK?

Kind regards

Dave

Shouldnt hijack threads, but given your oven is less than 3kw, install a socket for it, so its protected by a 13 amp fuse. This can be on the cooker circuit, so it also goes off when you turn off the cooker isolator switch above the 'top.

Make it a 32 amp circuit, with at least 6mm cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back