Stuck gas valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Glowworm Fuel saver MKII (model 30) that was working fine, a few weeks ago I turned the heating off at the timer, then before we went on holiday I turned the hot water off at the timer to save gas. When we came back I turned the water back on but the main burner wont ignite, pump is spinning & water is moving, the solenoid valve on the boiler is getting 23/24V and clicking when the timer cuts in but still no gas flow through main burner. Pilot light is fine and always has been. Help! :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
With the pump running and AFTER you've heard the 'click' from the solenoid' GENTLY tap the body of the gas valve just a couple of times with a soft hammer or piece of wood. This MAY free the valve if it's stuck. If it doesn't, best to get a CORGI engineer to investigate further.

The solenoid on the gas valve has gone, part cost approx £45, easier than changing complete valve which isn`t that much dearer.

Sponsored Links
I prefer changing the whole valve myself but must advise fang that he would be unwise to attempt either without the appropriate skills.

i doubt the solinoid has gone if a clicking noise is coming from it when power is applied

Thanks one & all, been away a few days, tried the first idea, turned it all off, left it for 20 mins, re-lit it and it all works fine now!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back