Potterton Prima F Boiler - Noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently converted a garage into a usable room and have taken a radiator out - since my husband capped off the ends, we have had no end of noises coming from the radiators and the boiler tank upstairs, also the potterton doesn't appear to be working properly. I have bled the radiators twice and this helps in the short term but the next day when the water and heating trip in at 5 am (programmed twice a day) there is an horrendous banging and clinking noise throughout the upstairs boiler and the radiators - please help before I boil my hubby !! :(

Sponsored Links
Better not to leave it crashing and banging. In worst case, you might achieve your wish re. husband! (if he happened to be standing next to the boiler at the wrong moment.)

It's not really practical to diagnose this remotely.

Turn it off and get a heating engineer.

Thanks for worrying about hubby, he wouldn't look good 'pink' !
An update on last nights attempts to address the problem, in case it might help diagnosis -

Checked that all of the radiators were on - some weren't and now they are and then attempted to turn the heating on - radiators didn't warm up and the thermostat wouldn't click, although the banging then stopped. The potterton boiler pilot light lights up when I press the button but then goes out
This morning at 5 there was another sound which wasn't banging but more squeaky.

Please help, as hubby is away at the moment and I want to solve this one from a girlie point of view .......... !

NB Still got loads of hot water - that's not a problem

It may be that there is no water in the header tank therefore the system so you are heating up nothing or it may be that you didn't bleed the air out of the system only the rads......either way there is a good chance that the squeeking is the pump running dry and preparing to sieze up for good.

Sponsored Links
Ollski - thanks for the help. I've tried re-bleeding but there isn't any air coming out of the radiators. I will check the header tank. If it is the pump, is this expensive and will I need a professional heating engineer to install it ?

Thanks for the help - it really is appreciated ! :LOL:

I checked the header tank and the water level is fine, so I'm now at a loss as to what the problem is. What is making the clanking / screaming noise ?
In summary, the heating isn't working (no thermostat click), the pilot light on the potterton keeps turning itself off (which implies there is a fault somewhere ?) and I'm being woken up at 5 every morning to a terrible noise - tried calling a plumber but couldn't get one for love nor money !!!
Any other ideas as I'm really starting to get cranky !! :eek:

you need a heating engineer not a plumber, there is a difference, but ask are they familiar with your boiler first

Thanks for that breezer - I've called a heating engineer out. Although I haven't had the problem sorted, I have learnt a hell of a lot from this site. Thanks to the 'resident boys' for all of your help - hopefully it will help me describe the problem quicker to the qualified boys. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back