How to remove driving tool from metal fence spike

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure someone has done this......I have used a hard plastic driving tool to knock metpost into the ground, as recommended, but the block has fitted itself very tightly into the metal part meant for the fence post !!!! DUH!
Any idea how to remove it without removing the fence spike? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Isn't the block made a short wooden post with a metal cap on top + handle?

The fence post tool is a dense block of plastic, 4 inch square, which is used to hammer the metal post holder into the ground, as suggested, without damaging the edges of the metal post spike. The problem is that the tool also gets knocked into the flanges which are supposed to grip the post. The 2 foot metal spike is now in the ground, with the tool jammed into it! I want to use both the spike and the tool, and both are now useless. See the problem? This MUST be a very common occurrence, but I haven't seen anything about removal techniques.

Sponsored Links
i bet not, it probably has a metal bar "twisted" round it. sound like the one i used.

never had that problem though, always took it out after a few bashes to stop it getting stuck

never had the problem either as i refuse to use the piles of ****e. dig a hole and concrete them in the proper way. unfortunatley that doesnt answer your querey! Scratching my head on this one!

Have you undone the bolts on the side and tried to give it a bit of a wiggle to lossen it up? Or phone metpost and ask them

it has no bolts Thermo, its just a lump of steel wrapped around the plastic.

could always try a smaller hammer and hit it up either side in turn

i know breezer, im talking about the bolts on the shoe of the metpost

normally easiest. better than beating around the bush Mr N! :LOL:

Thanks for the ideas guys. Once the plastic block is wedged in, it won't come out. I haven't concreted the metal spike in, it's just in the ground. The metal bar wrapped around the top only allows the spike to be pulled out with the block still in it. I have called Metpost and they weren't helpful - suggested I drill it out and destroy it. I said maybe there should be a warning on the side about the posibility of the block getting jammed! The block costs about £7 and the metpost about £6, but I want to reuse both.
I'll let you know how it turnss out. The fencing has stopped for the moment. :evil:

Yes, the Metpost is 4 inch square, so is the driving tool. The Metpost is slightly tapered and has four flanges which grip the post, ensuring a tight fit. This also grips the plastic driving tool equally strongly, but as it is quite small, it can't be levered out. Surely I'm not the only person who has done this, but no other info about it. It's just annoying, and Metpost had no suggestions, apart from drilling out the tool, which is also time consuming, and destroys the tool, which I need for all the other posts! Should I ask for a refund?

drill a hole in the centre, put an expanding bolt in it and then you can lever it out with that.

Next time dig a hole and concrete them in. works a hell of a lot better than those metal pants bits of tin

Yes, the Metpost is 4 inch square,
No I meant the metpost is slighly out of square hence the post jamming
The Metpost is slightly tapered and has four flanges which grip the post, ensuring a tight fit.
You could make a slots with a hand saw + chisel to prevent it jamming again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back