ALPHA BOILER CB28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI CAN ANYBODY HELP????/ I HAVE AN ALPHA CB28 COMBI BOILER AND ITS NO LONGER GIVING ME HOT WATER...

THANKS LUKE

Sponsored Links
The obvious expectation is that the diverter valve has failed.

Unfortunately on your model its not possible to see the diverter valve move!

Tony

How about just the diaphragm gone? Pain in the ar*e to get at though.

HI CAN ANYBODY HELP????/ I HAVE AN ALPHA CB28 COMBI BOILER AND ITS NO LONGER GIVING ME HOT WATER...

THANKS LUKE

At all?

turn off cold inlet iso valve under boiler, run hot tap full, go back to boiler.

open iso valve listen to boiler activity in this order

1/woosh of water
2/feint click
3/ onwards pump start fan start
fan stop fan start
clackety clack
woof of ignition.

If it gets as far as 2 but not as far as 3 you need a flowsitch

if it gets to 1 not to 2 you need a diaphragm.

My money is on flowswitch.

Usually the problem is intermittent at first so you have to open iso valve wait and listen for sequence. Shut it, and repeat 20 times. One failure in 20 at position 2 is enough to diagnose switch.

When people are nice to me I can give good advice, when they start telling me how horrible I am I hold a little back and let them find it out for themselves..

Sponsored Links
Yes Paul, but the expectation at this time of year is that the CH is working as he did not say it was not.

In that case the flow switch is unlikely to be the culprit assuming you are talking about a system flow switch as thats used for both heating and DHW. I dont remember a system flow switch though.

The DHW flow switch is very quiet and it will be difficult for most people to hear it at all.

It can be tested by pulling it off upwards and pressing the tit to check that brings on the boiler. If so then it confirms the diverter has failed, usually, but not always, because the diaphragm has failed.

Tony Glazier

pump is proved by rate of change of thermisters,

I can hear the click quite clearly.

The purpose of waiting for the click is to prove the diaphragm.

Its probably much quieter in sunny scarborough than noisy London. All I camn say is that i find it difficult to hear it in situ over the running water, tenants music, police sirens etc.

At least I had a laugh last Wednesday. These three unmarked black police cars with dark windows were obviously going somewhere to a convention with their sirens on and passed me at great but unnecessary speed. At the next traffic lights the middle one one had tried to follow the first in a right turn and had collided with an oncoming car. The police windscreen was cracked as one or both front seats had apparently not been wearing a seat belt.

I deplore the Police using sirens and excessive speed when on normal routine journies. Hopefully this will discourage them for a few days.

Tony

Yes peole rabbiting on ten to the dozen are a nuisance. I jsut say to them, "lets listen to it now shall we and see what it's doing?

I find you can fault find a lot more quickly listening to the boiler and not the layman with a confused story.

Actually got myself into a hole, listening to a customer other day. Installer had called me because boiler didn't seem to modulate. I was so busy that day and working late I forgot paperwork as I walked in, asked client what problem was, he was worried about pressure loss (aren't they all?). I opened her up pressurised her cold and looked for the culprit, got a few drips out of a union with the dv, fixed it, checked it out, checked round house, away I went. Got home read sheet. Job in Harrogate (1.5hrs each way)

Surely you tested the boiler was operating correctlybefore leaving?

Whatever the job sheet said, I would always ask the occupier what the problem seems to be!

Tony

It was in the loft and the householder was on the phone the whole time even including as I left, I was a piece of dog dirt.

I ran the boiler on engineers mode only as I was only aware of a water loss issue, so ran it hot to make sure ev was OK checked zero evidence of output of prv fixed one slight drip in the boiler and left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back