External PIR Light Problem

so wait..

theres power to the FCU, but the fuse blows every time you put the power on..

you havent checked the cable going from the FCU to the light...

do you not see the severe lack of logic to your fault finding..???

if the fuse blows start at the light , disconnect it and put the wires into terminal blocks..

if the fuse doesn't blow then it's the light..

if it still blows then disconnect the outgoing cable from the fcu and try again..

if it doesn't blow then it's the cable..

if it still blows it's the FCU itself that needs changing.

Sponsored Links
O.k first thing first...
What wattage is the lamp ?
Second...
Go buy yourself a multimeter and double check the length of cable for the section between FCU and luminair for continuity.
Third...
Try changing the FCU plate for a new one as sometimes cheap makes could be faulty and while your at it for future convienience pay a few extra pennies and buy a SWITCHED FCU as some security lights have a facilty to switch it on perminantly if you want to.

500W lamp, but still no juice when the lamp is disconnected (using voltage tester)
I would of had a Megger 1553 if I hadn't of just been ripped off on Ebay, almost £600 down the toilet this week :(
I have tried another FCU, I have tried the none switched, switched and also switched with neon.

Basically it seems as though I have not made any glaring errors so I need to rewire the wiring that goes outside (run straight through, no conduit).

so wait..

theres power to the FCU, but the fuse blows every time you put the power on..

you havent checked the cable going from the FCU to the light...

do you not see the severe lack of logic to your fault finding..???

Yes I know but I wanted to make doubly sure with you guys that I hadn't done anything wrong that could put my mums house/mum in danger, I have obviously left the FCU with no fuse in it because I was thinking it could be the outgoing wire but ran out of time yesterday because I had to pick my son up from nursery. Life is like that sometimes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back