render and DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a DPC put in internally to 1 m and was advised that external pebbledash render should be removed to the same level. But a builder says that I am wasting my money and it doesn't need doing. He says it will look ridiculous, that there may be damaged brickwork underneath and that the external walls aren't damp. The DPC firm said that any survey would advise that the external render is too low. Help please.

Sponsored Links
Had a DPC put in internally to 1 m

Can you please clarify exactly what this means?

The DPC firm said that any survey would advise that the external render is too low.

The DPC firm will say whatever they want in order to get your money out of you. As long as the render doesn't bridge above and below the DPC and has a bellcast along the bottom of it then you should be OK.

I'd put my money on the builder in this instance. If he is a local tradesman he may well know the construction of the house inside out. In any case, someone with knowledge of how houses are built is far more likely to understand the relationship between render, brickwork and damp than a 'DPC firm'.

If you hadn't noticed, 'damp' companies aren't on my top ten favourites list at the moment.

Thanks - as I don't know what I'm talking about I didn't describe that well -DPC firm hacked off plaster to height of 1 metre then injected DPC.

Outside the pebbledash render stops at height of 2 bricks above the ground. Why I'm not sure what to do is that the DPC company don't seem to gain anything from their advice - they don't do the work.
Can you tell me what bellcast is?

Sponsored Links
Well I'm not a plasterer, renderer or builder, however I understand the bellcast to consist of a bead which forms the render out away from the wall, allow rainwater to drip clear of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back