compression joint (how tight)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am about to use compression joints on the base of flexible hoses attached to taps to speedfit pipe i have been told and read how tight i should tighten compression joints some say 1 full turn after hand tightening others say 1/2 turn others 1/4 turn someone who knows there stuff please tell me how tight cheers

Sponsored Links
Until it stops leaking really!
try 3/4 turn and if it leaks give it a little more.
Once you've done one, you'll know!

I believe Conex say 1 turn after hand tight, but the quality of the fittings on things like flexy tap connectors varies a great deal. A turn or two of ptfe tape round the olive often helps. Bear in mind the olive system was designed for copper pipe which provides more resistance.

V important is the tap end - don't overtighten that or you'll split the washer. See if the tap ends are sharp, if so run a file across them first !

Make sure you have the appropriate inserts fitted into the plastic pipe first.

If using speedfit tap connectors then hand tight plus 1/2 turn should do as they have rubber seals.

Sponsored Links
Its far better to have it lose so you can tighten, because if you over tighten all you do is crush the olive, then you have to start again.

Hand tight plus half a turn, meaning 180 degrees. Allow full pressure and if any leak at all, another quarter turn. Makes sure the pipe is completely clean and smooth. Teflon tape around the olive often works on en existing joints that weep but should not be used until the olive is set. And only than as an emergency repair. It should work fine on normal pipe when cleaned properly and if you want to be really sure, use a bit of paste on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back