Combi in an airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

About four years ago I had a Vaillant 828E Turbo Plus installed in an airing cupboard in one of my bedrooms. The installation was carried out by a Corgi registered company and everything went according to plan. I am now in the process of selling my house and have just heard from the person buying that the surveyor has said the airing cupboard has insufficient ventilation and that a Corgi registered engineer needs to certify it. My argument is that a Corgi registered person installed it so why go through the agro. My boiler manual quotes BS 6798 but I can't find much on the net. Any ideas.

Ta

Sponsored Links
The surveyor has said the airing cupboard has insufficient ventilation

Wouldn't it be easily rectified by putting a vent in the door?

Suggest you consult a Corgi to fit one for you (or check it if you do it yourself) to manufacturers recommendations. :D

Does the boiler not get its air supply from outside? Ours is fitted in the airing cupboard and the flue goes up through the roof. The boiler is room sealed and gets its air supply from the flue, I would have thought yours would be the same? In fact I would have though that any modern boiler would be illegal if it drew its air supply from the room it was in :eek:

Yes it does get it's air from outside, right from above the boiler and straight out through the wall in fact. I think I'm a victim of another over zelous surveyor. The trouble is I'm moving to a new house and if I don't get the chain moving soon I'm going to loose my plot or the plot as the case may be. If anyone has access to the BS data I would really appreciate some info.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Have a look in installation manual and it will say wether a vent is required for a compartment , most modern boilers don`t and as for certification this came in for boiler after april 2005..
This is just another excuse for solicitors to charge more money. if your boiler doen`t need ventilation send him a bill for wasting your time.

Simon compartment vent is for cooling air not combution air

My installation manual says to refer to BS6891 when installing in a cupboard. I can't find any info on the net.

Look at paragraph 4.6 on page 12, which tells you that you don't need any ventilation. ;)

Thats that sorted send him a bill for your time. I personally am getting fed up with them and having to waste time telling customers the rules and i am sending next one a bill

Selling house is stressfull enough

I think he means the MI's.

I've never had to fit compartment ventilation for a turbomax :eek:

Nice one! Just check the Vaillant info and it states that no ventilation is required. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll just have to convince the surveyor now.

Totally agree with you namsag ;)

Me too

Gotta love Surveyors since when did they become gas "experts"

Had one the other day who condemned a luvverly old netaheat and said that it HAD to be change by law.

I had some fun with him I did. Funnily enough he could not show me the legislation that states that a safe and functioning boiler MUST be change cos its 20 odd years old.

Oh what fun we had

:)

Nice one! Just check the Vaillant info and it states that no ventilation is required. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll just have to convince the surveyor now.
just send him a copy of the manual if not tell him to contact the manufacture tech line stay on the phone for god knows how long and then he might get his right answer.

I doesn't need ventilation and suggest that the guy they used to check the boiler out need to swat up of go get registered with corgi! manufactures instruction over ride any corgi manual !!!

Ask the surveyor if he is corgi registered or at least ACS qualified. Most are not, as in 98 percent, and if he is in this group, just ask him to show you the regulation that says THIS boiler needs a vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back