samsung sp42q2hl Connection to HD virgin box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased this TV on the basis it is HD ready which it is clearly printed HD ready. However I have just signed up for HD Virgin package to find out there is no HDMI sockect on the TV? There is component sockets which have been wired but the screen remains blank Can anyone please help as I am now scrating my head! Thanks

Sponsored Links
took a look at the spec on line:

HDTV-Ready to Requires separate receiver to view HDTV signals.

Rear input connectors Component x 1, Audio (RCA) x 1, RF x 1.
Front input connectors S-Video x 1, Composite x 1, Audio (RCA) x 1.

You are right, no HDMI socket.

I had a dig on the web and found that the set can only do HD from the component input (which would make sense to me). Seems to be a popular topic getting these things to do HD.

take a look at this
http://boardreader.com/t/General_PS...G_SP42Q2HL_Component_help_required_79316.html

You say it is blank when you connect to component socket - chances are you are not providing it with a component input. Most cheap set tops will not provide component out. A PC might.

Sponsored Links
I think you should try and borrow some kit that will do 1080i 50Hz via component and verify that the set can actually display the picture before buying anything else. There seems to be a lot of discontnet about this set on the internet.

In theory, if the set can do component (1080i at 50hz) and you can get a box that will turn HDMI to comonent then it should work no problem.

See if any of your friends have a games console or similar that you can try and connect to the TV.

Hello thankyou once again for your help. Problem has now been resolved by Virgin engineer, looks like he configured seetings on TV but is now working using component outputs. Just waiting now for some more HD channels to become available!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back