cold radiators downstairs warm upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
again same problem, cold radiators down stairs boiling hot ones upstairs

its a myson condensing boiler (water tank upstairs in airing cupboard)
upstairs rads seem connected together but the downstairs ones seem to be connected with individual in and out pipes.

turned off upstairs ones and downstairs ones turned on - only happened once.

the pump does seem to be working but maybe making different sound - not sure dont normally listen to the pump!

theres also a valve thingy with 2 settings, W, M & H - dont know which one this is supposed to be set to????? help.

the thermostat and actualy boiler seems to be clicking in and out fine. the hot water there is no problems.

i have bled all radiators - clear liquid straight away no air bubbles.

i also bled the pump, initially some black stuff - not gungy, like soild in water. black particles. i bled until it was clear. same problem.

can anyone help a lady in distress?

I dont want to call a plumber out and be ripped off????

Sponsored Links
I dont want to call a plumber out and be ripped off????

Why, Why, Why, dont you trust people in our profession?

Why do you EXPECT us to be ripping off everyone?

I am sorry but as someone who never rips anyone off I get very distressed when I hear that repeated so often.

Have you ever been "ripped off"?

If you are so concerned then why not call British Gas? Or do they rip off people too? If they do then why not complain to them?

Tony

reply to agile
yes got charged a lot of money before just for turning a water stop valve on. but apologies
i also think female on her own, can pull the wool over.
a

Sponsored Links
reply to agile
yes got charged a lot of money before just for turning a water stop valve on. but apologies
i also think female on her own, can pull the wool over.
a

so what do you call alot of money to turn on a stop valve.
i've been in peoples homes before no longer than 5 mins just to reset a immersion stat but it's still chargable for the hourly rate.

johnD
ok i've read what you recommended, may thanks I will try balancing them when i get home. It might be the case as the upstairs ones were very hot.
Strange that it happens all of a sudden, but maybe as using it more now summer has been and gone?

i put the big about the valve in big letters because i dont knwo what the proper setting is. reading a few of these posts, i am presuming the pin underneath the valve must be left out and not it and the dial on W M or H??? ???

any suggestions?

As you are not certain if your pump is working then I would suspect this until it can be proved it is working.

HI gas4you,
how can i prove if the pump is working?

tried balancing radiators , dont seem to have worked

You can prove if it's spinning by taking out the silver screw you bled it by and inserting a flat bladed screwdriver. It will make a grating noise as the screwdriver is located if it is spinning, if not locate the flat blade in the spindle and try to turn until it moves.

As said this will tell you if it is spinning but won't guarantee it is circulating properly :confused:

hi gas 4 you
ok was planning to do the screwdriver trick but the silver pin won't come all the way out, not sure if maybe the thread has gone a bit???? or whether it just doesnt come out, so cant check if pump running properly
i did get some more black water out so some kind of silting up going on inside
al;so ofund out the upstairs radiaotrs can turn on and off, he downstairs one appear to e wedged in one position which used tobe the on position before they stopped working, so my plan to isolate indiidual raditors doesnt work.

I'm going to have to call someone out so its looks, any recommendations for companies of independants in the birmingham area?

Just to finish this, i called a plumber in, turns out the pump was still turning inside but was heating everything so slowly that it never got the heat downstairs.
changed the pump and now works like a dream.
many thanks to all that tried to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back