Removing vinyl border adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to remove vinyl border adhesive from a wall. The adhesive was probably solvite border adhesive, which is water soluble when wet but which dries into a rubbery film.

A steamer made no impression. Hot water and lots of scrubbing :)oops:) of a small area simply made the adhesive roll into small balls, but not come off.

I tried various solvents (white spirit, meths, aftershave) all to no effect. :(

Can anyone suggest how best to get rid of this stuff?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Good suggestion. I contact Henkel Loctite Adhesives in Hatfield on 01707 635000 and spoke to their technical help line. They suggested applying a strong solution of sugar soap and then coming back to it with more solution and a stiff brush (like a nail brush). This worked well, although was very hard work.

The best tip is don't use vinyl border adhesive for sticking borders directly on to a wall. I guess heavy duty wallpaper paste would do the job and would be much easier to remove.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back