DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Zinsser Bullseye 123 (water based) vs Zinsser BIN (oil based

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunama

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I am currently painting my room. Im now doing the wood work (skirting, door, architrave, etc). These wooden surfaces were previously painted with oil based gloss, using very old paint, that contains lead.

The best way to paint on this surface is to rub down with wet sandpaper to provide a key. However, I want to avoid the rub down, if possible.

Ive tried using Zinsser Bullseye 123, water based paint. Apparently this product can grip onto gloss paint. Unfortunately, this is not the case, where the Zinsser Bullseye 123 paint is easily scraped off of the old gloss paint.

My question: would Zinsser BIN, oil based paint, be able to grip gloss paint better than its water-based counterpart? Could I get away with using liquid sandpaper on the gloss paint to rough it up a little, just to provide a better key for the primer to grip onto?

What would be the easiest way to paint over this gloss paint, without needing a rub down?

Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
confidentincompetent

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote

hi .
the 123 is what I would use.. It gets more scratch resistant as it cures (8 days?). The bin is shellac based I find it a bit sticky over large area's Myself I just give a light rub over with p120 paper, you dont need to go mad at it just a slight 'dulling' will do then any paint will stay on the gloss. Vac then wash down with cold water and ammonia, then you'l find something like dulux acrylic primer undercoat will stick to it like the proverbial s**t to a brick. Of cours I'd have a mask on when sanding, lead based or not icon_wink.gif
good luck.
 Alert Moderators
sunama

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote

Thanks.

I have now bought some Zinsser BIN and find it A LOT more grippier than its water based counterpart (Bullseye 123).

I shall be using this as the primer and will then give the woodwork 2 coats of white, waterbased Dulux satinwood.

I used wet sandpaper for the sanding, which took ages. The French doors alone took about 5hrs in total.
The following user says thank you to sunama for this useful post:
Fishwalker (30 May 2012)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: