Kettling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently moved into a house with a Baxi Solo 3 PF boiler. Everytime the hot water comes on timer, there is a kettling (boiling) sound in the pipes above the boiler, especially when the pilot light comes on. The water temperature seems to be decreasing also. Any ideas or advice?

Sponsored Links
Hello,
We had kettling on our system, turns out the boiler inlet was configured as the system outlet, and the boiler outlet was the system inlet, ie, wrongly piped but had worked for about 6 months like this! .....

I would say it's the build up of lime scale and possibly air in the system.

Our boiler was making similar noises and there was a large air lock on the return pipe. This, coupled with the boiler being about 10 years old and having lots of lime scale, was causing our system to make lots of noise.

Meblin

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there is poor circulation through the heating coil in the HW cylinder.

Have a look for an air bleed screw on the pipework near the cylinder (its usually 10cm or so or pipe sticking up with the bleedscrew at the top) and try venting it.

Also check that you have water in the F&E tank in the loft!

Expansion tank is checked and full of water - though it looks slimey.

Will look for a bleed screw near the Cylinder.

If no better I will try to change the water in the system and refill with anti grunge/limescale treatment. Is this a good idea? There is a drainage valve near a radiator by the back door, will this drain all the water in the system. Is there anything else I need to do for this to work?

Many Thanks

croydoncorgi said:
How on earth did you get limescale in a closed circuit central heating boiler???

Ooops didn't realise it was a closed system :D

If it really is 'slimy' you may need a different treatment. Pipes and rads can get infected with 'bacterial slime' which can block things up. Slime tends to float in the water. OTOH, if its very fine BROWN 'mud' lying on the bottom of the tank, that's sort-of normal, in small amounts (it's rust). Fernox sell anti-bacterial treatment as well as cleaners, inhibitors, etc.

As I said before, I don't understand why you think limescale could be a problem.

If / when you drain the thing, see how fast the water empties out of the F&E tank when you open the drainoff downstairs. A common problem is a blockage in the pipes above the pump near where the cold feed is connected. If it only drains out slowly, that would be a confirmation.

Ok thanks. Will try and tell you the result.

Thanks

Water drained out of the tank quickly so no real blockage. Fernox treatment added which needs draining in a week. Kettling sound still there but quiter now.

I presume ther will not be an instant result and it takes time for the treatment to take effect?

i had a problem with kettling after i had new boiler and pump fitted.it seemed that the fenox inhibitor acted as a cleaning agent and deposited a nice lump of crud about an inch thick prior to the pump.
But it seems i have the return of the dreaded kettling but cant find a blockage. Rads a re hot at the top and warm at the bottom HW fine

Water drained out of the tank quickly so no real blockage. Fernox treatment added which needs draining in a week. Kettling sound still there but quiter now.

I presume ther will not be an instant result and it takes time for the treatment to take effect?

instant :LOL: :LOL:

that post was from 2004

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back