Screed surface dusty and loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have now been laying a 65 mm floor screed. I mixed it very dry as people advice. I also added fibre reinforcing. But in places the surface is loose after 2-3 days of laying. You can erode it with the finger until 3-4mm deep before reaching a hard surface. This happens especially in day joints and where I flattened it with a straight edge that had a sharp edge, before realising that rounding off the edge was better. The sharp edge was dragging the fibres and tiny pebbles in the sand when passing it over the surface.

I have checked the core and it is quite firm.

The question is what do I do about it now? I am going to lay tiles on top of it and it has underfloor heating below.

Another question. I am using polythene sheets to control the drying. For how long should I leave the the sheets in the present weather in the Midlands?

Sponsored Links
I compressed it as I laid it, but on those areas where the problem is, I dragged the straight edge over the surface and forgot to compress it again

Sponsored Links
first you screed it level with a straightedge.

then you rub up the surface with a polyfloat, filling in where necessary.

next you trowel finish the surface with a floor trowel. this final application tightens up the finish on the floor surface. similar to skimming a wall, it compresses the grain and makes for a tougher surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back