Disconnecting a gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice there isn't a section on gas for obvious reasons, but can a gas fitter clarify a point for me.

My daughters gas cooker needs disconnecting as she is changing to an electric one. Whats the legislation for a non gas fitter to do this. I don't know what sort of connection there is of whether there is an isolation valve as she lives 60 miles away.

I have an engineering background so am familiar with making water and air tight connections using PTFE tape. Am I legally able to disconnect it and blank off the open end?

I'm not trying to encoach on another trade and will gladly get a local gas fitter if necessary.

Sponsored Links
If the cooker is fitted with a flexible hose with a bayonet connection at the wall end then the customer can disconnect this themselves. If not fitted with a bayonet connection you will need to get a CORGI in as the whole gas installation will need to be tested prior to capping off.

If you have a bayonet fitting it should be removed and pipe work plugged for a permanent gas cooker disconnection.

The bayonets are only classed as a temporary means of disconnection.

Corgi job unfortunately.

Dave read the book bayonets can be left no need to plug or cap.

Sponsored Links
if cap is present then it should be used if not only to keep it free from poop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back