bonding to water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10mm earth wire from oil tank to the stop cock on the rising main. However, the pipe from the the ground is plastic so is it actally earthed or should there be a wire out to the earth rod outside? Also should the pipes from my combi boiler be bonded together, if so, do they have to be 10mm as well?

Sponsored Links
You should have a 10mm main equipotential bonding conductor from your CU to the water service, with in 600mm of the stop tap and before any tees. The same for the oil, but within 600mm of entry to the building and before any tees.

No requirement to use a rod of any sort! You are not 'earthing' the pipework, you are 'bonding' it.

No need at all to bond your combi.

Earth rod already there ?

Is this a TT supply requiring an earth rod to be connected to the voltage operated ECCB between meter and CU.

Thanks. There is an earth spike by the house already but its pretty old (green wire) and I'm waiting for the electricity company to come and move the supply. Will they modernise the system?

Sponsored Links
Will they modernise the system?

Only if you ask them to. It depends on what you call 'modernise'.
If you have a TT system it is always worth having them change it to TNC-S (PME) if it available. There will need to be some changes and tests done on your fuseboatrd If this is donei. Involve a competent sparky to advise you on this, the electricity company will not be interested in doing that part of the work.

If you do get the PME conversion done, provide in advance an earth block with a 16mm G&Y wire conveniently close to the service head for them to connect to the new earth terminal. Very annoyingly, they seem to be using a sealed head where you can't get at the earth terminal now, so they will just connect in whatever old earth wire they find (which may be inadequate) and you can't easily change it afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back