Split load consumer unit in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently moved into a new house and the garage (attached to the house) power and lighting, and the garden lights are being fed from a 8 way split load CU that is located witin the garage (not IP rated). There is a seperate CU in the house for the main circuits.

Is this acceptable or do I need to look at getting it changed?

thanks

Sponsored Links
How has the power been fed to the CU in the garage?

8 ways seems excessive, but then it could be full of 6amp MCBs. Any chance of a picture?

perfectly acceptable providing that the cable used to supply the garage CU was suitably sized for the predicted loads...

The power to the garage CU comes off its own MCB in the main house CU.

The Garage CU has a 6amp MCB running the lights, a 16amp for the internal sockets, a 16amp for the external socket, and a 6amp one for the garden lights. Everything apart from the internal lights is on RCD side.

All the others are spare!!

I was just concerned as to if it was acceptable to have a non IP rated CU in an attached garage?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds ideal TBH. Far better than others may install.

What size cable feeds this additional consumer unit and what size MCB is protecting this cable?

you mean it is not IP rated for rain, splashes, water sprays or immersion?

Not a problem unless the roof leaks or you use a hosepipe inside the garage.

JohnD - yeah that's the one - There is a water pipe that runs through the garage to an external tap, other than that no roof leaks etc.

Lectrician - I've just checked and it is on a 20amp fuse in the main MCB and the cable looks like 2.5mm T & E (although I could be wrong!). The cable run is no longer than 3 or 4 metres.

Cable is fine from house to garage.
You will find that most enclosures (consumer unit boxes etc) are IP54 rated unless otherwise stated which means you cant get your fingers in and they will resist indirect sprays of water i.e. you dont actually aim the hose at the enclosure.
This is all provided that the supplied covers and seals are in place and in good repair !

I would say 2.5 is a little on the small side. It is protected by the 20amp MCB, but is still small to be feeding a CU that size, even if not currently loaded.

Nothing immediately dangerous, and the MCB would trip if the cable was overloaded.

16amp for the garage sockets provides descrimination against the 20amp, but I would still reckon an either/or when there was a fault.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone for your responses. You do a great job. Keep up the good work.

Sorry - just one more question

Maybe I am worrying too much, but having looked more closely at the CU in the garage, the earth is being supplied by the earth cable in the 2.5mm T&E that supplies the power from the house CU.

Is this acceptable or should a seperate earth (earth rod?) be in place for the garage?

Thanks

How far is the garage from the house? What earthing system do you have in the house?

Hi

The garage is attached to the house and the cable run from the main CU to the garage CU is no longer than 3 or 4 metres.

The supply is TN-C-S or TNS (unfortunately it is not labelled!). All other bonding is in place.

Thanks.

The supply is TN-C-S or TNS (unfortunately it is not labelled!). All other bonding is in place.

post a pic of the service head on the end of the suppliers cable, where the main fuse is, and the wires coming out of it to the meter and your consumer unit, and the G&Y bonds, and we can tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back