Newbie question on identifying upstairs floor type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First post so be gentle-found the forum via google.Been browsing the articles for a few hours and decided to join.Like to do a bit of DIY and gardening as my job is broadband (I work for a large cable TV company) and hammering things helps me to get away from IP address's and slow speed complaints :D
My question is, we are looking at floor tiling the upstairs bathroom-I know, there is a tiling forum but I thought it best to ask in here.
I want to identify what my flooring is-the house is new, it was built 3 years ago by McLean/George wimpey. The flooring is of a wood type, it is T & G, that I'm certain. I think it is directly nailed/screwed onto the joists and when I've pulled the carpets up, it has a green, sort of waxy covering on it. If it helps, it seems a bit more sunstanial than the T & G chipboard I put in the loft to sit some of my rubbish on.
Can somebody hazard a guess at what it is, then I can look through the forums and decide how it should be prepared before I put/get someone to put my porcelain floor tiles down

Thanks

Cab

Sponsored Links
Read the stickies in the tiling forum, they are gonna tell you to rip up the chipboard and lay plywood instead. or something.

Read the stickies in the tiling forum, they are gonna tell you to rip up the chipboard and lay plywood instead. or something.

Sounds like that is the stuff-cheers. Read some of the stickies last night, hence the question :confused:
I suppose its down to the fact that this chipboard, even the 22mm stuff, is considered too flexible and over time, the "springiness" of the board will lead to movement of the tiles/cracking of the grout? Have I got this right?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No, mainly that chipboard, if it gets wet, will swell up and basically disintigrate. Even the water resistant/moisture resistant P5 stuff won't stand up to a soaking. It'll only take one overflowing bath/sink, rad leak or damaged pipe under the floor and you'll have to redo the lot. Wbp ply is much more forgiving to water contact.

No, mainly that chipboard, if it gets wet, will swell up and basically disintigrate. Even the water resistant/moisture resistant P5 stuff won't stand up to a soaking. It'll only take one overflowing bath/sink, rad leak or damaged pipe under the floor and you'll have to redo the lot. Wbp ply is much more forgiving to water contact.

Ahh-ta for that. I've got twins so water dispersion is a usual thing :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back