bath tap pressures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had new bath room fitted and now getting very slow hot water flow from both taps.Have tried forcing out air and this is not the problem.Water tank and cylinder are in airing cupboard about 2 foot above taps.Plumber has used a short piece of 15mm plastic pipe on hot bath tap.Cold feed to tank also seems ok although gate valve is siezed open.Could the taps be the wrong ones,how do you tell the difference between high and low pressure taps.Any help greatly welcomed.

Sponsored Links
if they are quart turn taps or cartridge taps not the old washer type taps they 9/10 times will only work on mains pressure.

as you have gravity system why has your plumber stuck 15mm on the bath tap should be 22mm

Not sure why hes used 15mm probably to be the easiest as hes also used push fit connections on all taps and pipes,Taps are 1/4 turn and I think these require high pressure to work ok.

yes sounds like you need to change to gravity taps.
and get rid if the 15mm put it back to 22mm

while your doing that get a plumber not a muppet that can't use copper pipe.

any descent plumber would advise you of these problems before fitting them.
not when he's been paid.

Sponsored Links
Cheers foe the advice mate I will be doing this myself this time.Could lifting the cold water tank into the loft increase flow from taps,and how big a job would this be,or is it better to install a pump and where in pipe work do you fit this.Again thankyou.

for what height you can lift tank won't gain you much pressure.

to install pump is a expensive way round. can you not change the taps ?

You have maybe 2 - 3m head and you need 10m or more for HP taps, so lifting won't make a lot of diff.

A pump will at least give you a decent shower.
Lots online, eg
Here

Yes will be changing taps for normal ones.I just thought if i moved tank into loft and increased its size I could get a better flow rate as well.Thanks to all who replied.Very helpful people.

I have 1/4 turn bath taps but they work fine on my low pressure system. Maybe it's the push fit connectors, some of them are not full-bore, they restrict the flow quite a bit, the 'cuprofit' ones are the only full-bore ones i've seen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back