Indesit bangs about

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it comes to the spin cycle, my Indesit leaps about quite violently. The feet are balanced; and I wondered if the drum was rotating off centre for some reason? It is beginning to make a scraping noise.

Sponsored Links
If this is a problem that has been getting progressively worse it may be that one of the balance blocks in the drum has come loose. You might be able to check this by shaking the drum backwards and forwards and sideways if you can manage it. You should only hear the sound of springs. Any other clunking noise is symptomatic of something more serious.

Sounds like the bearings at the back. Spare set (including new seels) is about £25 but quite a big job to replace. Take the back off and look for any sign of a slight leek (rusty dribble marks) coming from the centre of the pully down the back of the drum. Usually it's a faulty (or worn out) inner seel that causes the bearings to wear out. Doesn't take long after that for the outer seel to start to leak giving rise to the tell tale drips.

If you continue to use it in this state it can damage the shaft. This is normally quite expensive (around £80) and makes it a slightly (but not much) bigger job.

if i had to do a bearing change, it was always the spider (shaft you called it) bearings and seal, but i used to prefer to tell them it would cost too much, i hated bearing changes, and i had a proper bearing puller

Sponsored Links
get two and race them

come on my money on the white one

I agree totally. I did the bearings in my Zanusi about 4 times (in it's twenty year life). I always caught it early and with a bit of a rub down with wire wool to the bearing surface, on the spider was OK.

Also if you catch the problem early, there is less water damage and hence rust welding of the bearing into the drum.

My mother's Ariston was in a far worse state. It had been clanking around for about a week before I got to it. Took me days to get the bearings out (couldn't use a puller there was no lip left to get under) and, of course, bearing surface on the spider looked like a bit of barley twist. Had no choice but to replace it.

To top it all, I damaged the pulley getting the darned thing off (a couple of the spokes just snapped) and couldn't get a replacement as they were obsolete.

She refused point blank to have a new machine, even though I offered to pay for it. Must be the only woman I know that has sentimental attachemtns to a bl**dy washing machine. It's still working to this day (complete with some steel brackets holding the pulley together) and I believe it's over thirty years old.

when my machine started dancing
it was the hydraulic dampers

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back