Question: new cooker, no cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into new house, which has an electric ring circuit for the oven but no oven. There is a socket on the wall in the gap but its not a plug socket.
I've just bought an indesit cooker off ebay and this doesnt have a cable just a box at the back.
At first I thought I could just wire this direct but after looking at the wires on the cooker it looks like I need to attach a cable to both the wall and the cooker.
Although there is a space beneath the plastic cover on the wall for such a cable there doesnt seem to be space on the cooker itself.
There is a mixed set of colours between the wall and the cooker but I understand that brown/red = live etc.

Is it just a simple of getting some "electric cooker cable" (I understand that this is larger) and attaching the 2?

My feeling is that if I can wire a plug and have attended an \\\"introduction to electrics and plumbing\\\" course that I should be able to do this without killing myself or anyone else! Please feel free to tell me otherwise.

Sponsored Links
What rating is the breaker on your cooker circuit (which is not a ring BTW)?

What does the terminal box on the back of the cooker look like? a photo would be nice.

What is the rating of the cooker?

Sponsored Links
not too keen on the brown stain round the cooker outlet.. :confused:

there is no load information on those photo's... but since it's on a 40A breaker then 6mm flex or T+E will be ok to use..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back