Stable door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Ive got a wooden stable door to put in as our front door.
It is currently blank and I need some advice on securing it.

Ideally I dont want it to work as a stable, I would have wanted it solid but the style of it was just right and I simply couldnt find it any other way but as a stable door.

So Im thinking I will put a yale lock in the top half
and a dead bolt in the bottom half
and ..... somehow secure the top half safely to the bottom half

Any ideas on this plan?

Thanks all
chris

PS - I would like the front door deadbolt to have the same key as the one for the back doors. I havent got a lock for the back door yet either, where can I buy 3 deadbolts all operated by the same key?

Sponsored Links
5 lever BS3621:2004 rated sashlock on the top, and a 5 lever BS3621:2004 rated deadlock on the bottom. Both keyed alike, including the 3rd lock for your back door if required. The two sections are usually kept together with a vertically mounted bolt.

Do not get a yale lock unless you like getting locked out. Have a chat with your local locksmith who'll sort out the above locks for you.

I may well be wrong but I believe you can get lock sets called stable door locks which I believe allow you to just be able to have one lock to undo (You still have 2 deadbolts but they're mechanically linked). If they don't make such a thing, well they should! :LOL: . They also lock the two leaves together with hook locks without rattling or unsightly bolts.

Sponsored Links
from an insurance point of view,both leafs should be treated as seperate doors and be fitted with bs3621 rated locks on each as handyhands has suggested.

thanks for posting everyone

It is a wooden stable door so Im not sure that a stable door lock set for going inside the two leaves is avalaible, I have searched though.

I could have got a joiner to make one, but this one was very cheap and with the budget were working too a newly made one couldnt be afforded. good point though.

Thanks for the lock advice.
I will speak to the local locksmith about getting hold of some properly rated locks for the top and bottom leaves.

thanks all

chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back