Gas Boiler firing up intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help.

I have an old conventional gas boiler with a indirect hot water cylinder and 3 port motorised valve and pump. the boiler make is Stelrad Ltd, Wlx boiler. which will only light up for a few minutes then cut out, it does this intermittently. I have a Honeywell programmable timer and I have tried the hot water switched to always on but no action from the boiler. So I get no hot water or CH because the boiler wont fire up. There is a pilot light on the boiler and power to the timer. I have just had my hot water immersion cylinder replaced as well, could this be the cause?? or is it the timer or the gas boiler itself

im really stuck as to why the boiler wont fire up anymore

thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I can't tell because i can't hear anything coming from the pump but the pump is red hot, you can't touch it without burning yourself.

I have noticed that if I switch on the HW and CH to continously on, the pump makes a slow quiet hissing noise

The boiler make is by Stelrad Group and is a Ideal WLx gas boiler

Sponsored Links
sounds like your pump is either stuck or seized
If stuck try loosening the screw on the top and turning the shaft with a screwdriver

Failing that new pump

Pump depends on presence of water for lubrication, and water flow for cooling (although its pumping hot water!). If the casing is very hot, TURN IT OFF as a first step!! You may already have smoked the motor coil windings.

if i need a new pump how do i know what is the right one to get?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back