Door Closer for big & heavy front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

The front door to our Vic Terrace house is massive & heavy. The bldg is broken up into 5 flats and we live in the GFF next to the door. Most of the people who live here are considerate, but some aren't. :( There's now two nurses in the basement flat who are really suffering as they work unsociable hours in A&E. We've put up polite notices, etc., but it doesn't help with the clueless. Our family owns the building and we've decided to put in a decent door closer. Other houses on the terrace have them, but they don't seem to do a very good job, so I thought I'd ask here.

I don't actually know how heavy our door is so as to know what to be looking for. I've put a large collage pic on the page below with dimensions included. If anyone can tell the weight that would be a help. Any suggestions for a door closer would be magnificent!

Edit: I think the door is pine.

:) Lew

http://www.laurenwb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/FrontDoorCloser.htm

Sponsored Links
depends how much you want to spend,do you want it to be strong enough to pull the door shut or rely on its speed to do the job?
if money isnt an issue then www.lcnclosers.com do the best closers and most decent locksmiths/architectural ironmongers can get them for you.
ideally any closer you choose needs latching/closing and backcheck adjustment and at least a size 5 going off those measurements
£30 will get you a rubbish closer that will not do the job at all,£80-£90+ will get you something that will have the ability to shut the door quietly and last for years
briton (www.briton.co.uk) also do a decent range although i dont rate them personally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back